How many of you who don't use a computer don't use a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Sherwood Wisdom but consider it the primary tool for figuring nitrogen loading only on recreational dives. For deeper dives and deco dives, I use an Uwatec bottom timer and a slate with a plan derived from DPlan or Palm VPM on my PDA.

On deep air/deco dives I still leave the Wisdom in air mode as it serves as a means to potentially surface early in the event of an abort where I may ascend much sooner than planned. For deco diving the Wisdom essentially uses straight US Navy tables, so even with accellerated deco on a much more consrvative bubble gradient or variable permeability model, it usually only takes a few minutes more in the water at the 10 ft stop to clear the computer. And on the ones where it does not clear and I don't want to wait for it, I still have the option of leaving the water (as I am not relying on the computer for deco calculations at that point).

When I move somewhere with deeper water and trimix becomes a practical reality, it will end up in gauge mode on trimix dives - if it goes along at all.

I use Uncle Pug as my computer. I've found he doesn't rot your brain. :D

Actually - Uwatec computer that I don't bother looking at what the computer says. Just use it for depth and time and since it has big numbers I can read it with my failing eyes.

OE2X:
I use Uncle Pug as my computer. I've found he doesn't rot your brain. :D

Actually - Uwatec computer that I don't bother looking at what the computer says. Just use it for depth and time and since it has big numbers I can read it with my failing eyes.
What model are you using? My old eyes need big numbers, too. :)

I actually own three. The one I use the most is the Uwatec Smart Pro Wrist.
http://us.uwatec.com/products/sm_pro_wrist/sm_pro_wrist.asp

I also have an Air Z Nitrox wrist.

I also have a Suunto Stinger that I only wear topside in wrist watch mode. For my eyes without the bifocals in the mask, it's a bit of PITA to read underwater.

Snowbear:
My Vyper has not seen computer mode since I put it in guage mode in December of '03....

Did you buy it with the intention of using it in gauge mode or did your diving style change after you bought it?

I have an Oceanic Versa Pro that I originally used in computer mode, but have since switched over to gauge mode.

It wasn't a conscious effort though. It got to the point where I knew where I was "at" at any given point during the dive and found myself not using the computer as a 'computer'. I was using it for depth and time, but wasn't paying attention to the ndl's it was displaying, so I switched it over to gauge.

I do like the Versa Pro for the large display.

Uwatec bottom timer here..

Same here. Uwatec Bottom Timer. I use Ross Hemingway's V-Planner for planning deco dives. I write the schedule in my wetnotes and also on an arm slate depending on the dive.
I've never owned a dive computer, but if they ever make one that does all the things I want it to do I'd consider buying one someday. I can see that being able to download dive profiles could be a good thing for studying deco profiles, but between 1975 and now I've simply never seen any need to spend the money to get a dive computer.

(Like Wingnut, if I ever get one its gonna have to have big numbers! :D )

Computers for diving were not yet invented when I started and the ones that did coe come out shortly thereafter were refered to as Bend-O-Matics.....

I now own several, 2 Oceanics(both nitrox) and Beauchat. One bottom timer depth guage(Dacor but all come from same factory) and a Suunto Stinger. I have also played with GAP.

What do I use? It depends where and what I am doing.

I can use a true tec diver set up with just pressure guage and bottonm timer to a full air(Nitrox) integrated computer.

It just depends.....

Ron

Back
Top Bottom