How many of you who don't use a computer don't use a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW... I admit that I have been known to "ride my computer" on recreational boat dives. Usually on those trips, where most dives are in the 30 to 50 depth range, I am only using the computer to basically track my nitrogen loading on repetitive dives.

If I am just planning on a single dive or two for a day, then I'll use my tables before the dive(s) when I generate my dive plan. The computer always goes with me but I use it to "log" the dive, monitor the depth (my primary depth gauge), keep track of the water temperature, and of course the time of the dive (much like a bottom timer). The computer has nice big numbers for those of us with gray hair, too! I use a Cochran Comander that is wrist mounted, it has no air pressure features.

I also use a Citizen watch that has a depth gauge (as one of my back-ups) and to also keep track of the start of my dive and overall time. I always consider myself to be one of those "computer users," but I do use my tables and an old fashioned log book to generate my dive plans. If I take one (not too often) I'll jot the numbers of the plan down on my wrist slate. Otherwise, I just try to remember maximum depth and bottom times. I figure one day the computer may not survive a whole dive, so I keep current on the use of tables so I don't zots my day of diving should the computer go south.

gcbryan:
Do most of you who don't use computers use Uwatec/OMS bottom timers or Suunto Vipers in gauge mode and why? Or do you keep it in computer mode and just not look at it:)

From reading the threads I seem to see those 3 possibilites coming up and I'm curious as to which is the most common.

I actually have a VR3. I leave it in computer mode but to date, I don't think I have ever looked at the NDL numbers. I either plan my dives (if I think deco is an option) or I simply watch my profile on rec dives and do what stops I think are most appropriate. (think multilevel safety stops). Usually, on deeper dives, the VR3 is nice enought to recomnend a "microbubble" stop deep even if it doesn't have a 'deco' stop shallow.

Mike

i have a smart com, and a ald aladdin pro.
but i think im gonna get a vr3 this winter

I have an OMS BT and a Timex Helix that I either wear if it's a long dive or just leave in the bag.

I always use my tables (the wheel) to plan my dives but I use my computer (aladin prime) to keep track of :dot: I can never seem to remember to write down. I mostly use my computer to keep track of bottom time, time I entered the water, water temp and during the dive I like to keep an eye on the nitrogen loading bar. I also utilize the safety stop timer every dive. I could dive without my computer with no problems but the convenience factor of the computer would be missed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom