How many tries did it take you?

How many times did you have to take Basic OW to get certified?

• Once, it was easy

Votes: 111 92.5%
  • Once, but I got extra time and practice in

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • More than once, same club/store/agency

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • More than once, but I changed club/store/agency

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (still not certified, or explain)

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes most people seem to pass quite easily, although we did have a young girl in our group who freaked out in the swimming pool when she had to take off her mask underwater and then she freaked out again in her first open water dive, however it turned out she had a fear of water which seemed a strange sport to take up considering !
I would say free diving is probably harder especially when it comes to equalising , I'm sure you will find it easy!

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
Well I passed my PADI open water without a hitch, but wasn't very confident about going out on my own as the visibility was about three foot, and my mask kept filling up with water (five-day course Monday to Friday). However I did go out with my buddies the following weekend and visibility was much improved and I had a new mask, and apart from our uncontrolled assent and dissent it was great fun!!!!!:wacko:

No control......Yikes!

Probably because your instructor failed to teach you these skills (let alone spell them).

Sorry, I could'nt resist
:boom: :devil:

Go ahead, call me a: Bloody wanker......Cheeky monkey......bloomin arse

Once, though the class was 6 weeks long. 5 weeks of class and pool, then OW cert dives in the springs in Florida. We then did a few dives in a local lake for more practice, then off to the Keys we went and thoroughly enjoyed it. No problems at all so it must have been a good class.:wink:

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...
Once ... but my OW course involved 16 hours of class, 16 hours of pool, and 5 dives. The class ran four weeks. I think I got my money's worth.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All cert. classes should be like that. I passed on my first try, but there was a guy in my class that didn't even belong in a swimming pool.

He passed too :rolleyes:

I have been working as a DM for 2 years in Thailand. In that time I have never seen one person that has not passed the open water certification course. Its business here. I think some instructors sign off on people that have no business in the water. A bit scary IMO.

CAPT HOOK once bubbled...
Only took one try BUT, although I kept diving, it was really about 35 dives before I felt like I knew what the hell I was doing!

yea, I totally agree with that statement - and here in NJ in cold water - it wasnt until #90 or so that I really felt confident in my abilities in cruddy conditions!

I did it on my 1st try BUT I shouldn't have looking back now. I did a weekend class (they should not be offered!). It was a Fri evening, Sat all day and Sun morn. I picked up the "borrowed" course material on Thurs - no real time to study the material. The 1st time in the pool the instructor did not even give us any weights and expected us to stay down and watch his instruction! I was comfortable in the water so that was not a problem just the total instruction. Only I did not know any difference at the time. On Sunday when we did the final test the Instructor said he would be in the Shop and left!

I have since found a different agency (and I'm not saying it was the agency's fault in any way!) and a new Shop and on my way to Dive Con. Without finding this other Shop I'm sure I would have never dove again.

Bottom line it is the Instructor
Becky

My class went really well. My instructor is an ex-public safety/rescue/recovery diver, and he had a major thing for safety/rescue skills. He put an emphasis on study and preparation -- I was snorkeling without a mask on and doing mask clearing drills on my own in our sub's pool before the course, after reading the course materials. The two other guys in my class were pretty sharp too, and that helped.

My class was a NAUI OW ("Scuba Diver" in NAUI parlance) course, given at his shop and a local commercial pool on a Thursday night, Friday night, all day Saturday, all day Sunday, and Monday night with 6 OW dives on a following weekend.

By the time we hit the pool, we all knew pretty much exactly what was going to happen, and had practiced some stuff (see above) on our own, so we whipped through the skills. Only things like "rescue unconscious diver at depth" drills took time to repeat.

Our open water stuff went good too -- 3 beach dives on a Saturday, 2 being on Scuba and one snorkel dive. The snorkel dive had to be in at least 15 feet of water, and we all had to dive and retreive a handful of sand, 4 times each. I dunno if that's a NAUI thing or just something my instructor cooked up, but I had never done that before and found it a confidence builder. Also, to get out deep enough, we had to swim about 250yds, and doing that 6 times (there and back 3 times) left us tired... but confident in our skills.

Our 3 boat dives the following day went pretty good. There was another group with us (different instructor) and they had one guy who got the heebies and aborted the whole day, one girl who got seasick after one dive and aborted, and one person had a nasty reverse block and got a maskful of blood. After our instructor drilled some dive physics/medicine into our heads, that didn't even surprise me when I saw it (at safety stop) -- I just thought "Oh, they got a reverse block. That must suck."

It was interesting to compare our two groups -- our group was all in wetsuits, even though it was relatively warm water. We all went down with everything clipped away and tidy, from dive slates and tables to octos and SPGs to a knife or shears, and these other folks were diving in cargo shorts and had their gear flopping around and catching on stuff.

Goes to show the difference in instructors. I definitely feel that our class all has the right knowledge, skills, and attitude required for our "license to learn." I was even comfortable enough to remove my regulator and adjust it a little at 55fsw. I plan to get a handful more dives in and continue my training, hopefully at least to Rescue Diver, just so I can be a responsible dive buddy.

I believe that panic is a diver's worst problem, and panic comes from fear. Fear comes from not knowing, so the best thing a diver can do is get educated. That and experience is the best thing one can do to stack the deck in your favor.

Just my 200BAR...

Ian

It took the kids and I once at Monterey.
The wife did her check out dives in warm water.
So were we ready for big blue?
Our first dive was the Blue hole in Nassau.
Even though we were well prepared and all our basic skills were mastered we were scared at first but shortly after the dive began we were in love with the sport and couldn't wait for the next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom