How many would consider using a tether when diving with a loved one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also thinking in the event of running into strong currents. I know the details to what happened to TS&M are not many but when I heard the news it triggered something that I could not easily shake off. I became worried for my wife. That is the truth. Even with all her discipline and training she lost her life and was separated from her husband, who was therefore unable to assist her. The only detail that stuck in my mind is that they descended down into an expected current. Also it only took a moment for him to look down at his gauges and then she was gone.

Frank G
wwwzgearinc.com

Exactly, I was thinking of this example as well, and there are many cases like this where a buddy disappears and no one knows what happened. You just have to read dive accident reports. And those that say good technique can prevent this cannot use this argument with Lynne who was a better diver than most of us.

Adam

you are assuming having a tether would've resulted in saving of her life instead of mourning two Scubaboard members... additionally what we are saying is that while in the one of circumstance it may actually help... for the majority of dives you will be doing it is a danger and may result in accident or injury to not only 1 but 2 divers

as you describe and explain things more, my view that more training, experience and better buddy practice is required and while a buddy line may make you feel safer... it's a false sense of security and can wind you up in trouble...

you guys aren't comfortable enough to dive independently and you're gonna introduce something that increases complexity without proper use/training...

If you want to do this avoid coil lines. For example, this tether:
Operator's Air Crew Retention Lanyard, Zero

If you do this, don't use a carabiner, use a bolt snap at each end. Realize this is not intended for diving, and I have no idea how it will survive sea water. But what little stuff I have from them is very good quality.

I wouldn't dive with you if you insisted on a tether, tells me you already have a certain level of apprehension and stress for the dive and we should just go ahead and call it. We can go get drinks instead.

The absolute last place I want to be is tied to a panicked diver. Sometimes space is exactly what you need, there's no reason to commit suicide so someone else, even if it's family, doesn't die alone.

If you do this, don't use a carabiner, use a bolt snap at each end.

I wouldn't use a bolt snap either. All buddy lines I've seen have a large ring or loop at each end. I can't find it again, but I know I've seen FinnMom posting a picture of one of those somewhere on this board. You slip the ring/loop over your wrist, and if your buddy takes off topside direction, Polaris missile style, you don't follow them up. They're also made from rope thick enough not to pose a serious entanglement hazard, and they have a small float about in the middle, keeping them from floating around you and wrapping themselves around you.

I've been reading this with some curious feelings... First of all, as one pointed out... in very few other matters, "Scubaboard" is oddly unanimous!
Secondly... Have you asked your wife? I don't know her experience, but your profile states 50-100 dives (Which is what I normally do from January to May...) If my guy had suggested this to me, I would have slapped him over the head and said "Get Real"!

The scenarios you are suggesting are the types that show up when you either don't make a plan, or you plan a dive that you are/or might not be proficient enough to do.
Plan your dives properly! Review divesite topography and possibility of current/silt. Revise your risk acceptance factor!!! (This is the biggest one for me...) If it looks gnarly... well don't do it...

And foremost... if your camera is the problem you can't stay together, either communicate better on land and make a better plan, or ditch the camera.

Just to add my $0.02 to this interesting discussion, I am planning on getting my 13-yr old son certified this winter and the idea of him during his initial dives with me (following certification) getting "lost" gives me constant nightmares. This viz in the lake we normally dive in is typically 10-15 ft, but can change quickly, especially when inexperienced divers hit the bottom and kick up the silt, so the possibility of the viz dropping temporarily to <5 feet can (and does) happen.

In any case, the thought I had was not to have a clipped-to-clipped tether, but rather a "line" clipped to his BC with a breakaway loop on the other end that I could hold during our dive. Essentially it would be similar to one of those fin/mask clips that folks use to help carry their equipment to the water when shore diving. If something happened that truly put MY life in danger, I would have the ability to let go and save myself (although if it's my son on the other end, that would be easier said than done).

So yes, it's definitely something I would consider, at least during our initial OW dives to help me gauge his skills.

innovative-fin-and-mask-holder-Big-2.jpg

EDIT: I guess in hindsight, I could also just hold onto a d-ring on his BC, but maybe that would make us too close together.

Just to add my $0.02 to this interesting discussion, I am planning on getting my 13-yr old son certified this winter and the idea of him during his initial dives with me (following certification) getting "lost" gives me constant nightmares. This viz in the lake we normally dive in is typically 10-15 ft, but can change quickly, especially when inexperienced divers hit the bottom and kick up the silt, so the possibility of the viz dropping temporarily to <5 feet can (and does) happen.

In any case, the thought I had was not to have a clipped-to-clipped tether, but rather a "line" clipped to his BC with a breakaway loop on the other end that I could hold during our dive. Essentially it would be similar to one of those fin/mask clips that folks use to help carry their equipment to the water when shore diving. If something happened that truly put MY life in danger, I would have the ability to let go and save myself (although if it's my son on the other end, that would be easier said than done).

So yes, it's definitely something I would consider, at least during our initial OW dives to help me gauge his skills.

View attachment 218799

EDIT: I guess in hindsight, I could also just hold onto a d-ring on his BC, but maybe that would make us too close together.
Well that sounds more like a leash. :wink:

Just use 2 dog leashes - hand goes in the leash - bolt snap the two ends together. Must be a simple dive...
My son and I when he was first certified used this method in 1 to 2 foot viz - I and he both wanted to dive but not holding hands. Gave us just enough room to dive without the worry of separation. :D

All right, let me explain why I have begun to look at this buddy line option as a something I would use.

You really don't need to explain it to us, there is no scuba police. What you do is up to you. You asked a question, and got a bunch of answers. Many people (some with significant experience) explained why they didn't think that it was a good idea. You can do what you like with that information, you don't need to justify your choices here.

But it does become harder when I am trying to film something, and she starts to kick in the after burner. I am still trying to get her to dive super slow especially for filming, but it is getting better.

So not only are you taking an inexperienced diver into conditions that are beyond her comfort level, you - who are fairly inexperienced yourself if your dive count is correct - are taking responsibility for her safety AND task loading yourself with a camera at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom