How much did it all cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rna:
So what are OW, BC, Sausage, Shears, Nitrox, AOW, LDS, and BCD? I don't know much here and the search button isn't very helpful either. Excuse my ignorance please.

OW = Open Water Scuba Certification = basic introductory training. Around $350.

As for all the other definitions... you learn them in OW. :wink:

I am rounding up or down to nearest dollar that I can think of...I think I may be drepressed at the thought of it but every cent has been well spent...well, most of it :wink:

Two 98 steel tanks $650 (buying when price is high to the benefit of future divers)
Two computers $350
Dry suit $500 (hell of a deal from LDS)
wet suit $200
Two sets of fins (one dry one wet) $160
hood + gloves $60
one mask $70
snorkel $40
boots $40
weight belt $65
1 disposable camera $30
digital camera and strobe $600
compass $60
regulator (1st and 2nd) $400
octopus $120
BCD $275
3 Lights $80
bits and bobs $70
training > $700
monthly gym membership so can snorkel for 80 minutes each morning pretending to swim - $50 :wink:
annual insurance $90
air fills - the more the better but $7 per fill with regular air

Without the gym that is approx $4,500 - need a stiff drink now!!!! :lol:

rna:
Approximately how much money did you guys spend to become fully equipped for SCUBA diving?

Scuba kind of narrows it down a little but you need to narrow the time frame a little.

In my 42 years of being certified and between what has been spent by me and others for training and equipment, well over a Million.

Gary D.

rna:
Approximately how much money did you guys spend to become fully equipped for SCUBA diving?
Initially, I spent about $1000. That included certification, mask/snorkel/fins/booties/gloves/gearbag/wetsuit, plus drysuit specialty class, plus Open Water Weekend.

9 months later I spent another $2000 on computer, Bouyancy Compensator, and regulator (plus some redundant guages).

6 months later I spent $3000 on drysuit, 2 tanks, pony bottle & reg.

Those were the big expenditures, and didn't include the extra Specialties, knives, surface signaling devices, more gear bags, hoods, and countless other "small" expenditures that I (and my Local Dive Shop) nickled and dimed myself to death with. Yes I've saved EVERY receipt, but I don't dare go add it all up, and I definetely won't show them all to my wife :) I might add that I always tell her when I spend money, but there's no sense stirring the pot.

At least now I can go diving anytime without having to rent anything. MechDiver is right... you spend what you want/have. But sometimes you spend what you don't have :-(.

A bit of advice: After you get certified, rent until you can afford to buy.

Jerry

rna:
Which time? The first gear you buy will not be the last gear you buy. Read, study, and learn from Scubaboard and it will help you save $ in the long run.

rna:
DeputyDan, I hope you know which forums your wife DOES NOT look into, because if she starts getting cranky, you can blame it on me lol

So what are OW, BC, Sausage, Shears, Nitrox, AOW, LDS, and BCD? I don't know much here and the search button isn't very helpful either. Excuse my ignorance please.
  • OW = Open Water - Typically used to mean the initial certification you get when you first become a diver
  • BC = Bouyancy Compensator. This is either an inflatable vest or a back-mounted wing that you wear that also connects to your tank. You have an inflator that will let you add or dump air to maintain your bouyancy under water
  • Sausage = Surface Signaling Device. Usually this is an inflatable nylon tube that's 4-6" in diameter and anywhere from 3' to 6' long. You use this if you're ever stranded on the surface to signal for help.
  • Shears = Medical shears/scissors. Used instead of a dive knife to cut any entanglements that you or your buddy find yourself in at depth.
  • Nitrox = Oxygen Enriched Air. You can add a Specialty to your Open Water certification for Nitrox. Diving with air that has been enhanced with Oxygen will allow you to stay down slightly longer.
  • AOW = Advanced Open Water. This is typically the next certificate you get after your initial certificate. Usually there are a set of classes you need for this, plus a couple of dozen dives. The requirements depends on the certification agency.
  • LDS = Local Dive Shop. The guys who will be taking all your money.
  • BCD = Boyancy Compensator Device. Same as BC
Hope this helps,

Jerry

hmmm..lets see..luckily my parents pay for most of it!! but i love it so they are willing to support me! but a lot of money! you have gear, dive masters, rentals..and classes!!

Coming to the conclusion that you have bought and used two of the wrong type of BCs and now you have to buy a BPW - $1,500.

Knowing that you bought the wrong kind of lights and now have to upgrade to a can light - $1,000.

Buying the wrong type of drysuit and having to buy a new one - $3000.

Buying retractors, ankle weights, snorkels, split fins, computers and now realizing that these are obsolete - $2,000.

Seeing the real mistakes you made in your classes DIR - F video - $$Priceless $$

Back
Top Bottom