How much do you pay for servicing your regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of the tech divers operate on the "fix it when it breaks" mentality, so we keep the spare parts kits around and are ready to rebuild them on dive trips but only service them when needed. They'll sometimes get broken down and sent for a bath in the ultrasonic if they are in salt a lot, but normally the parts go right back in.

My bad on Atomic, read that somewhere today, but it just saw the one from atomic itself confirming the above.

The tech I did some of my initial learning from would get a reg and throughly inspect it before serving. He did the obvious checks for corrosion, cracked hoses, etc. Then he tossed it on the bench, put it under pressure, and checked the IP and cracking. If everything checked out he changed for an inspection. Otherwise it would get rebuilt.

Parts kits for Atomic regs are $25 per stage. So I think the OPs costs are on par. Places like ScubaToys are probably giving a discount on parts and using it as "loss leader" to give an incentive for folks to ship regs to them for service.

You are right. Atomic don't require service records for warranty. However they still recommend maintenance every 2 year. I really wish I could just do it every 5 or 10 years. But for a life supporting device I would rather follow the guideline unless they say otherwise.

Do you really believe your regulator is life support? That is, that you die if it does??? I plan and conduct my dives so I always have an alternate gas source making a regulator failure nothing more than an inconvience that may end that dive. I always take a spare rig with me. I monitor my regs health fairly closely but don't "fix" them until there is an apparent problem in the making. I have never had an UW problem more serious than a minor leak. I don't waste time and resources on unnecessary service.

Do you really believe your regulator is life support? That is, that you die if it does??? I plan and conduct my dives so I always have an alternate gas source making a regulator failure nothing more than an inconvience that may end that dive. I always take a spare rig with me. I monitor my regs health fairly closely but don't "fix" them until there is an apparent problem in the making. I have never had an UW problem more serious than a minor leak. I don't waste time and resources on unnecessary service.

Good to know.

I remember a thread from a few years ago discussing this. A properly serviced and cared for reg will last many years without any problems. When the math was put to it, by the time the average reg would develop any problems that required service you could simply toss it in the trash and buy a brand new one and still be money ahead (compared to the old standard of yearly tech servicing).

I have AL Mikron second and octo....Just had them serviced this past June. Cost was 70 dollars and change.

Our club has around 80 members. The general consensus is not to get them serviced until a problem arises with it. We conduct regular Bubble checks at 3 metres. If you have an unstoppable free flow whilst kitting up don't dive until it's fixed. The yearly service is an absolute myth run by the manufacturers. Even my lds won't service them yearly. He just gives them a quick clean foc. More dives seem to be missed with just serviced regs. F1 cars are now much more reliable when they are not constantly stripped. Having said that I dive twins on deeper dives so I have a backup. But on shallow dives I use a scubapro mk10 which I bought in 87. That was last serviced 6 years ago. Do not hold me responsible if you die though. Always follow manufacturers guidelines. Etc etc. Don't get me started on O2 cleaning!

I think they should supply the removed parts back plus the packages from the new parts and a CD of them doing the work.

I service my own stuff. The reason I do not own Atomic is my inability thus far to get parts for them otherwise I would dive their regulators.

N

Our club has around 80 members. The general consensus is not to get them serviced until a problem arises with it. We conduct regular Bubble checks at 3 metres. If you have an unstoppable free flow whilst kitting up don't dive until it's fixed. The yearly service is an absolute myth run by the manufacturers. Even my lds won't service them yearly. He just gives them a quick clean foc. More dives seem to be missed with just serviced regs. F1 cars are now much more reliable when they are not constantly stripped. Having said that I dive twins on deeper dives so I have a backup. But on shallow dives I use a scubapro mk10 which I bought in 87. That was last serviced 6 years ago. Do not hold me responsible if you die though. Always follow manufacturers guidelines. Etc etc. Don't get me started on O2 cleaning!

I agree that its a myth run by manufacturers to convince the LDS to sell their product dues to the spinoff of extra money from servicing yearly. LDS sells the reg and then convinces the buyer that its in their best interest and they may die if they don't follow the yearly service plan (as per manufacturers guidance). Also they use the argument that you have a lifetime warranty and "free" parts. It has ben my experience that all many LDS do is to wash the gear, test it and check for leaks and unless they find something wrong, there are no parts used for the "annual service", thus cost to manufacturer is $0, cost to LDS is time paid for by the buyer.

My thoughts are;

1. Given most regulator sets run quite happily for 4-5 years without a service (the cost yearly being in the order of $150. Thus $150 x 5 = $750. You could afford to buy a new reg set every 5 years and sell the old set on ebay for $100 and be better off.

2. If manufacturers are saying their regulators have to be serviced yearly or they will fail, it suggests that they have a poor product when we all know that regs will run 4-5 years ok or even longer? Its just a marketing ploy.

I have about 11 sets of regs and they are all about 8-14 years old. All have been serviced at least once. I have had one failure on a new oceanic primary regulator due to swarf found inside it from the manufacture process. I have had 2 secondary regs free flow with use, which were then serviced as a set.

After having a primary reg O2 cleaned by a LDS and a secondary reg O2 cleaned and serviced, to then have them fall apart with use at depth, I did the O2 service course, and am completing a Diver technician course in 2 weeks time and will do my own. If you care for your gear and become intimate with it (no not sleep with it), you get to know when something is not right before it fails. If you dive 10 times a year, don't take care of your gear, don't wash it or prevent water from getting inside it, simply throw it into a dark dusty corner after use etc, then yearly servicing is for you.

Now after belting some LDS about the head, I will say that there are genuine, honest LDS out there who charge fair prices and do good work. There are however dishonest ones who charge a fortune, do bad work, and laugh when they rip someone off (and I am familiar with some of them from experience).

Unfortunately when we all start diving we are very innocent and trust people who appear more wiser than ourselves. Its only with experience that we realise that not all people are being honest. For the LDS it is after all a business and they must make money to survive. Unfortunately the less honest ones use less than honest methods, and this reflects badly on the whole industry. Manufacturers also must make money so they use "Marketing ploys" to maximise profit. They see nothing wrong with their methods as after all its the buyers choice to chose or not to chose. For me its about morality and ethics and this is where there are many shades of grey unfortunately.

So for me I will be servicing my regs on a "as required" basis. I will take them to a LDS I trust, only if I feel its outside my expertise or knowledge.

Each to their own, after all its your gear and your life. Whatever you do, be satisfied with it and don't just be a follower. Make decisions based on knowledge and logic, not because the nice man at the shop who told you how smart you are, said you should get it serviced yearly or your head will explode.

I think they should supply the removed parts back plus the packages from the new parts and a CD of them doing the work.

My customers get their old parts back but I'm not sure they'd appreciate a CD of my tuneless humming and whistling.

If a regulator is particularly bad then I'll take before and after pictures of the internals for the customer.

If they want to be really bored then they're perfectly welcome to watch the service process; I don't find watching an ultrasonic bath buzzing away particularly interesting but some people might.

Back
Top Bottom