How much does gas cost in your neck of the woods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last I saw it was about $2.25 for regular, & premium was over $2.50.

During the so-called "oil shortage" in the 70s I flew over the refineries in NJ, noted that all the storage tanks were full (floating tops), and in the bay all the moorings were full of low riding oil tankers.
After the price of gas more than doubled there was suddenly all kinds of the stuff.

Yup, costco Rules over here! It was about a 23¢ difference to all other Gas stations. I save about $3.- every time I fill up.

chrisch:
Boogie711 and I have been having a debate about global warming... (oh dear)

Biodiesel is the way forward with fuel. But, you're right fusion power would solve many problems. However, electric is not that good a fuel for automobiles, so you would need to split water into hydrogen then pressurize it then distribute it.
By then it would cost more than petrol/gasoline/diesel/biofuel.

Enjoy your ridiculously low prices - we're paying for you. (Please therefore only use your SUV to go diving and I will forgive you!!).

Chris

Chris,

The Mr Fusion comment was totally in jest .... did you see the Back to the Future movies? Wishful thinking on the director or writers part i think.

And lets be honest about our ridiculously low gas prices in the USA. One of the reasons they are low is we don't get hammered with taxes like many European countrys.

Last i knew, in the USA, we pay about 18 cents to the Federal gov and 20 or so cents to Michigan. Each state is different in what they charge and some states allow local city or county governments to apply more taxes.

So at 2 bucks a gallon thats about a 20% tax rate in Michigan last i knew. I suspect most European countries are taxed at much higher rates to pay for the services they chose to have their government provide.

How much of your gas cost is tax?

Just came back from the town next door and saw super unleaded at $1.99 and regular at $1.85 at the Exxon station in front of the Baytown Refinery.

I knew the prices in other countries was way higher than ours. I was wondering about prices across the US. It's always surprised me that Exxon's stations right here near the refinery have always been the highest. guess they don't just run a line from the storage tank to the pump, huh?!

Here in Homosassa the best price I saw yesterday was $1.87/gal regular unleaded.

Now that my gas sipping car is broken with a blown head gasket or cracked head (haven't taken it apart yet) I have to drive my gas sucking Ford van. I think I will stay home a lot.

Hi Jon,

Fuel tax in Europe is staggering by US standards. I really don't have a figure but the difference between your cost and ours is tax that's for sure - fuel prices are about the same world wide.

It just makes me laugh to see people who actualy have bothered to work out they can save $3 on a tank. That's about a liter and a half. I really do not know how much fuel I use (diesel station wagon) on 20,000 Km a year. Fuel is (according to other posts who have worked it out) about 6 dollars US a US gallon here.

That is so cheap I couldn't care less.

Work out what the vehicle costs in depreciation and running costs and fuel is irrelevent. Yet its what gets people going. The UK had a truckers strike over fuel costs. Pathetic - they don't pay; their client's pay in the haulage costs.

I liked your comment about fusion as it is the big new thing. Ford and GM are working on fuel cell technology to use hydrogen, but there isn't any. They are wasting billions on a useless technology, driven (excuse the pun) by the need to have "clean" air in cities but without any regard to CO2 emmisions.

If you want to scare yourself divide up all the costs of scuba - training, kit, gas etc plus all the costs of getting to and from the dive site, then divide by bottom time. If you are still even remotely bothered by fuel costs please invite me to wherever it is you enjoy such cheap diving. Mine works out at about $300 an hour ball-park in my head figure.

Chris

Chris - thats an easy invite: Venice Beach for me is a real cheap dive-

$6 in fuel to get to and from
$14.84 for air fills after tax
say an average of 75 minutes of bottom time, each dive.. its a shallow easy dive.

Works out to about 16.67 per dive hour, or about .277 cents a minute.

Ft Lauderdale works out to about $3.20 more per hour.

Regular unleaded is $1.899 here in Borger, Texas where I can look out the window and see the pump jacks pumping the crude out of the ground and the refinery in the back ground! The refinery is part of the largest inland petro-chemical complex in the world BTW.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom