How much does gas cost in your neck of the woods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope:
Add in the cost of all of your gear, don't forget training and all of the other little costs that go in there.

Then again, diving is not about the cost, it is about the rewards. :D

What training? :wink:

If I put in my training and gear costs, it would be continually going down, i.e. dive one would have cost me $370, dive two would now be down to 80%, etc., in a continous depreciation due to the supply of dives starting catching up to the demand, such is the basic premise for modern economics: Supply & Demand will balance out somewhere. If I factor in my current gear, and I do own all my own gear, the dives are close to $30 each right now. By summers end, unless something drastic changes it will be down to roughly $20 or less... probably about the same as now. :D

Unless I buy something else in while in the continuous quest to perfect my own diving technique.

$2.29 for Unleaded, $2.59 for Premium, and I have to fill up every other day, 200 miles a day to and from work.

Chris

we're at $1.82 for 87 octane here in jax

glbirch:
Sorry, don't follow. There isn't any hydrogen? Useless technology?

Almost all "available" hydrogen is tied up in either hydrocarbons (gas/oil/coal/wood) or Oxygendihydride (what makes up 99.965% of the worlds ocean) because free hydrogen tends to escape the planet's atmosphere. The earth just doesn't suck hard enough to keep it.

To get hydrogen to burn you have to MAKE it. This means either stripping it off hydrocarbons (resulting in either a big pile of black stuff or lots of CO2) or separating the water into H2 and O2. Both processes require more energy than can be recovered by burning the hydrogen to make water.

To get that much energy either requires significant investment in many breeder reactors (currently illegal in the US thanks to Jimmy Carter) or burning a lot MORE hydrocarbons. None of the "renewable" energy sources available in the US can provide the needed Joules to replace a significant portion of the current hydrocarbon system, with the possible exception of the Gulf Stream. Of course if we rip that much energy out of the Gulf Stream we won't need to worry about "Global Warming" since we'd likely trigger another major Ice Age by deflecting it south enough to put western Europe under an ice sheet a mile or so thick. The Euros wouldn't like that much and may decide they need to suddenly decrease our energy needs. Once again the sun would probably come to earth.

Heinlein put it nicely.

TANSTAAFL

(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

The earth is a closed system with a relatively constant external energy source. Minor changes in the energy budget can make major changes in climate.

North of Baltimore, MD mid-grade, 89 octane, runs from $1.94 for cash to $2.10 at another station.

Found a "bargain" yesterday at 82.9/litre ($Can). What's got me this timae around is locally, diesel hasn't gone up. Everywere I look it around 69.X/litre. Is the price of gas going a lot higher with slight increases in crude price in order to subsidize diesel and heating fuel? I know the NA economy is very reliant on the big rigs and maybe keeping diesel prices low is a good decision. But, if you read the financial pages, along with the insurance companies, the oil companies are recording record profits.

FredT:
To get hydrogen to burn you have to MAKE it. This means either stripping it off hydrocarbons (resulting in either a big pile of black stuff or lots of CO2) or separating the water into H2 and O2. Both processes require more energy than can be recovered by burning the hydrogen to make water.

So I get H2 to run my car, and as a byproduct I have O2 for my Nitrox? Excellent...

Sometime in the last two days (I just noticed today), the prices of all grades at many (all?) local stations dropped by about $0.10/gallon. It's still about 8 cents more than Saturday, but who knows what I'll see tomorrow (or the next time I need to fill the tank).
-Rob

Paid $1.79 tonight here in SE Texas. I just find it interesting that gas always goes up a bunch just before summer. It's crooked!

I'm a bit concerned about my two month annual trip to Idaho this summer to visit my family. It's going to be 3600 mile round trip, with an average of about $2.15 or more. My old motor home only gets 5 miles a gallon (anyone know how to make it more fuel efficient! LOL) so it's going to cost me over $1500 in fuel! :11:

Maybe the boys and I should sleep in tents and take the diesel Suburban. It would save me $1000! (Hmmm, but then I wouldn't have room for all our dive gear. :( )

CBulla:
Chris - thats an easy invite: Venice Beach for me is a real cheap dive-

$6 in fuel to get to and from
$14.84 for air fills after tax
say an average of 75 minutes of bottom time, each dive.. its a shallow easy dive.

Works out to about 16.67 per dive hour, or about .277 cents a minute.

Ft Lauderdale works out to about $3.20 more per hour.

OK you've got me jealous now!!! What is there to see??

I recently moved to Milan from London. In the UK the best diving near London is the south coast - a 130 mile drive (e/w) for me. Then $35 for a boat for the day plus two tanks of gas at about $10 each (EAN32).
Here in Italy I can dive the lakes which is a short drive by comparison 60 miles (e/w). Gas prices are about the same $10 for 10L EAN32. Although the diving is not that great. Best dives off the coast near Genova on the wrecks and are deep, trimix dives. Trimix is about $50 a dive for about 20 mins BT. Plus a 200 mile e/w drive and motorway tolls (Y'all don't gotten motorway tolls yet have you??).

I'm looking at flights to Florida - be carefull about your offer!!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom