How much experience to dive w/out others...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, these are the items of consideration I can see...

1) tidal currents are supposed to be a beast at this site if diving at the wrong time...mediated by talking with local LDS about proper times to be in and out by. If currents become a problem at any depth we will simply abort the dive and signal my pops to pick us up wherever we end up at

2) jellyfish...play by ear, recall dive if there are problems with them

3) first shore dive...follow the contour of the bottom, make sure that bouyancy is proper (never been a problem for either of us), find a rock to have a hand on during safety stop.

4) anything else simply abort the dive

I've snorkeled in the area so somewhat have scouted it out before.

...don't let it paralyze you: Go for it. You're an openwater diver, which means you should be capable of planning and executing dives within the limits of your training and experience. Plan your dive carefully, considering all of the possible problems you might encounter (currents/fishing lines/low visibility/surge/etc) and how you can resolve or avoid them. If you can come up with a plan that you're comfortable with, go diving. If you encounter specific issues in your planning that you don't know how to address, hire a guide and discuss those issues - or bring them here for the cyber-divers to chew over. :wink:

Get wet. It solves lots of issues.

This is my attitude. My girlfriend agrees but is just a little nervous...parents are freaked out. Since pops provides the boat/transportation he is somewhat important.

BTW, I am 24, gf is 23 so we arent teenagers or anythgin fyi.

TyTy:
This is my attitude. My girlfriend agrees but is just a little nervous...parents are freaked out. Since pops provides the boat/transportation he is somewhat important.

BTW, I am 24, gf is 23 so we arent teenagers or anythgin fyi.
I was diving with my brother when I was 16 and he was 18.

Again, as others have said, if you are OW certified, you are supposed to be qualified to go diving - within your own personal limits.

If you and your GF don't feel qualified to dive together without a chaperon, you might want to go back to the instructor and explain that you feel you are not ready to be certified.

I say, go forth and dive (again, staying within your own limits/abilities/experience).

TyTy:
Anyway, how long after being certified before you started diving without a group/charter/divemasters in the water with you?

We did this right after check-outs too. Didn't even think of any other way - just dying for the next weekend after check-outs to come! Picked a very easy lake location - however unknown to some degree since it was the first time. It is also used as a training site, so it helped. We knew we would not plunge into the abyss.

I think for me going out with buddy - with whom I was very comfortable and to whom I would be able to say if I got uncomfortable - was less stresful than going out in a group or even with a DM. Less people to explain myself to, less waiting around - more doing it. From what I hear you have the main thing nailed, you two are comfortable with each others. Some nerves are OK, just tells you are not crazy but know there are some challenge involved. Parents are always going to be more worried than you are.

Your site is more challenging than our beginning site, so do your study, make sure one of you is not totally depending on the other, and do not make too ambitious plan for the first time. (We needed to abort our first go because of gear malfunction but you probably aren't on rental gear anymore like I was). And lucky you if you do not need to drag a float line - boy was that some task loading on the first go!

And go for it - you will need to do it at some point to notice what a pleasant thing it is. No need to create it into a boogieman.

A few of safety tips for you to pass on to your boat captain (pops) since you are planning to be your own Divemaster:
1. Bring a dive flag to display on the boat
2. Have him watch your bubbles, give him a max distance that your bubbles should be from the boat (remember that the bubbles will drift in a current, so not seeing them or seeing them farther away may not constitute an emergency)
3. Establish a recall signal (air horn blown in the water, etc) in case he feels an unsafe condition arises
4. Discuss the dive plan with him, let him know max depth, max time, etc., and stick to the plan.
5. Have an emergency plan. know Coast Guard contact info (VHF channel 16), 911 or local Sherriff #, and DAN phone number (919-684-8111) and know your location.
6. Have fun, and be safe so you don't have to use #5!
I am assuming by what you said that he is a non-diver, so this info can help to comfort him, as well as enhance your own safety.

TyTy:
My girlfriend and I have about 10 dives under our belts (all together) and are thinking about diving the jetties in Pensacola/Ft Walton Beach (between tides of course) by ourselves (meaning just the two of us, no other divers). Every other time we have dove we have been with a group.

We are a little aprehensive but then again so were we on our first dives and we made it through safely. I would say she and I are upper upper level beginners, our instructors said top 1% of people they have taught.

My pops has a boat to take us so it will be much cheaper to do these sorts of dives than charters.

Anyway, what Im saying is with us down and pops at the surface keeping a watchful eye are we moving into the diving with only eachother too quickly?

My thought is that we are dependant on only eachother as dive buddies. I dont think even considering getting help from a person in your group other than your buddy would be smart as my instinct tells me that it could create confusion and waste those precious decision making seconds.

If anything DM's have made us uncomfortable by suggesting 'group' type 'stay with the group' dives. My girlfriend and I have a permanant rule that it is her and I diving together, not as part of a group and that her and I will stay together thats that and thats all.

Anyway, how long after being certified before you started diving without a group/charter/divemasters in the water with you?

Your dive certification is designed so that you may dive with a buddy and in theory not need anyone else. Of course if you're diving in a new area, new conditions, haven't been down in awhile, etc its a good idea to have a group or a DM with you, but BOW doesn't have as one of its limitations "must dive with a group".

That being said, if you are not confient (or your buddy isn't) in diving without a group, don't. I get the impression that pops isnt a diver. So unless you're only planning to dive to about 5 feet, he's useless in an underwater emergency (if he can see you he might be able to move the boat to where you'd surface, but thats about it. I dove the jetties at PC once. Horrible viz from what i remember) A problem that occurs underwater, gets fixed underwater unless there is no other way. Do you have utter confidence in your GF's abilities as well as your own? What does she think?

reefraff:
...don't let it paralyze you: Go for it.

Exactly, afterwards you will see how much more confident you both are. Dive within your limits and your plan. If you see conditions that may make your dive more difficult don't be afraid to call the dive but otherwise ... get wet!!

Ahhh yes, worried parents.

Don't let them shake your confidence.

My mom has been that way since day 1.

"Mom, don't worry, I don't see myself going to deeper than 30-40 feet"
AOW "Mom, I'm just doing it to improve my skills and be safer"
Nitrox "Just doing it to be safer and be able to have more time"
Night dives "but mom, we dove the site before, we're just doing it in the dark now"
Wreck dives "No, I won't go in " (OK< I told the truth on this one)

She now knows that I've been to over a hundred feet, and that I've dove in some currents and sharks were close. She also has heard me mention Advanced Nitrox and Deco. (though she doesn't have a clue what the implication is) I figure ignorance is bliss. She also ( she is 76) thinks that since my DB is a guy, he can save me (that generation.....). This gives her comfort. I think she's getting used to the idea...yours will too. Go have fun!

Bring a dive flag (the big yellow one with a full-sized innertube and big flag , not a little styrofoam one that you can pull under if not careful). Carry it with you and don't tie it off.

This will make your father much happier, and make you much easier to follow with the boat. He'll probably be happy buy you one if you don't have one.

Terry

TyTy:
BTW, these are the items of consideration I can see...

1) tidal currents are supposed to be a beast at this site if diving at the wrong time...mediated by talking with local LDS about proper times to be in and out by. If currents become a problem at any depth we will simply abort the dive and signal my pops to pick us up wherever we end up at

2) jellyfish...play by ear, recall dive if there are problems with them

3) first shore dive...follow the contour of the bottom, make sure that bouyancy is proper (never been a problem for either of us), find a rock to have a hand on during safety stop.

4) anything else simply abort the dive

I've snorkeled in the area so somewhat have scouted it out before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom