How much Layering is too much???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtbriten

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It seems the latest "trend" with wetsuit manufacturers is layering. I'm in the market for exposure gear for waters ranging in the mid 60's to low 70's. I'm a wimp and need a 3 mm with a poly hood in 80 degree water... thus my question.. If I buy another 3 mil (200+ dives on the one I have now) and then a 3 to 5 mm corewarmer and a 3 to 5 mm hooded vest am I inviting disaster for comfort and buoyancy? Am I better off simply buying a 7 mm? or a 5 mm with vest? I like the options of mix and match but I want to make sure I don't end up feeling like the Pillsbury Dough girl!!! Thanks

3+3+3corewarmer+3hooded vest= 12mil in the chest area WOW-thats probably over kill plus getting each piece to fit might be a problem. If you're that cold then take a good look at a drysuit. Easier to get in to and out of, your warm and dry when you get out at the end of a dive plus it will handle a greater range of water temps. I don't think I'd reccomend that much neoprene layered on like that.-let's hear what other divers have to say-M

There is this cool thing called a drysuit you might want to look at...:D

Seriously, buy a wetsuit which will be comfortable for you in the water temps you are diving...layering to the level you are questioning will make you incredibly unstable and unflexible.

Michael Schlink:
3+3+3corewarmer+3hooded vest= 12mil in the chest area WOW-thats probably over kill

LOL I'm throwing out the old wetsuit. Was looking at 9 on the chest..

dtbriten:
It seems the latest "trend" with wetsuit manufacturers is layering. I'm in the market for exposure gear for waters ranging in the mid 60's to low 70's. I'm a wimp and need a 3 mm with a poly hood in 80 degree water... thus my question.. If I buy another 3 mil (200+ dives on the one I have now) and then a 3 to 5 mm corewarmer and a 3 to 5 mm hooded vest am I inviting disaster for comfort and buoyancy? Am I better off simply buying a 7 mm? or a 5 mm with vest? I like the options of mix and match but I want to make sure I don't end up feeling like the Pillsbury Dough girl!!! Thanks
If that is a 3 mil full suit for 80 degree water - I suggest you try renting a full 7 mil to try - consider a farmer john even. We had students in a quarry at 63 degrees last weekend and 1/2 were cool but OK and others were "freezing." All in 7 mils.
I must admit I was in dry suit and just fine - that is the way to go if you can do the $.

My girlfriend wears an Xcel Infinity 4/3 down to 74 degree water, then puts on my Henderson Hyperstrech 3MM over it when we quarry dive in cold fresh water down to the upper 50's. She puts on a hood and gloves too by the way. She has no movement problems with the super strechy Hyperstrech over her suit. I guess that gives her a 7/6. I wear the Xcel Infinity 7/6/5 during these dives and neither complain of being cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom