How much lift is too much lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be a little cautious about getting any dive rite wing for single tank other than the travel wing, unless they've really changed their designs. Dive rite wings tend to be pretty big for the stated lift IME. I also don't believe there's much of a standard in lift ratings vs what the wing will actually provide when it's mounted on a tank.

I'd think about a halcyon 30lb single tank wing or oxycheq or DSS 30. There's very little difference in apparent size between Tobin's 20 lb and 30 lb wings, and I think he's a little more accurate with his lift ratings than some of the other manufacturers. I'd be VERY surprised if you really needed 40 lbs of lift. I use a dive rite rec wing on my doubles, it has (I think) 45lbs of lift and to me it's enormous. I'd never use something like that on a single tank.

Yep.

One thing I did not see mentioned is that if 35 lbs of lift is currently more than enough for the OP (akivisuals), there is no need for a larger wing than that unless he plans to wear MORE neoprene, go to a much more negatively buoyant tank, or strap on a lot more "stuff" that would increase his lift requirements.

Remember, he will likely be able to remove about 5-6 lbs off his weight belt by going to a BP/W with a SS backplate. His overall "ballast" will of course remain the same, just some of it "shifted" to the back plate.

Best wishes.

First off, the difference between a 30 and a 32 and a 35 pound wing is not anything you will ever notice. Shape is more influential than size within those small variations.

Second, having already bought the plate, you need to be careful. Not all wings work on all plates -- it depends on the spacing of the cambands slots. If you are willing to use an STA, this is not an issue, but for single tank diving, the wings that don't require an STA are awfully nice. I do not own any Halcyon plates, so I can't check for you.

Up here in the PNW, most single tank folks are using around 30 to 35 pounds of lift.

Again, thank you guys for all your input into my journey. I've now acquired a secondhand Halcyon SS backplate with standard harness and an argon bottle holder that I will use for my 13cf pony bottle and the deluxe padding. After speaking to a few shops, reading a few threads, and the responses here, I'm thinking that I might want to pick up the Halcyon 30# wing. I have a line on one now but have the option of going with a 40# wing also. Many here have said that a 30# wing would be sufficient although some are saying more would be better. Now the question is, should I go with the 30 or 40? Thanks for your responses!

I'd go with the 30.

Again, thank you guys for all your input into my journey. I've now acquired a secondhand Halcyon SS backplate with standard harness and an argon bottle holder that I will use for my 13cf pony bottle and the deluxe padding. After speaking to a few shops, reading a few threads, and the responses here, I'm thinking that I might want to pick up the Halcyon 30# wing. I have a line on one now but have the option of going with a 40# wing also. Many here have said that a 30# wing would be sufficient although some are saying more would be better. Now the question is, should I go with the 30 or 40? Thanks for your responses!

Remember you need a STA also as Halcyon wings do not have slots for the tank bands.

30lbs and for the wing that does not require STA.

More is really a lot worse. The larger wing creates a larger bubble in the wing, so you get bigger shifts of the lift the wing is delivering with ascending. The drag and trim characteristics of the larger wing are inferior to the 30 or the 20 pound wing....and all you need is to be neutral with the "buoyancy compensating device"...it is NOT supposed to be an elevator, and it is not supposed to be a life vest or raft for you on the surface.
If you surface, and swim flat horizontal like a snorkeler, you don't need or want anything beyond neutral....a few pounds positive won't bother you, but you don't "need" it. The new diver that panics and trys to swim vertically, lifting their head far out of the water, actually needs massive buoyancy to do this....Good snorkelers ( no scuba tank) would never go vertical if they were tired....they would stay horizontal...if you are looking at good divers, they don't get vertical if they get tired either. If you have a snorkel, you can be flat horizontal on the surface for an entire day without tiring...you don't need a big wing....

On the other hand...if you really do want a "raft" for your return to the surface, Halcyon has a pouch that fits on the backplate--that has the look of a pad for your back...and it can hold the Halcyon Surfmat ( like an inflatable Belly Board) , and they even have a one man, inflatable Life Raft....Both of these are actually meant to get you way out of the water on the surface, and each has zero effect on your trim or streamlining or buoyancy underwater...unlike the big monstrous wings or high lift jackets sold to float a divers head high out of the water...the trade offs for this are unacceptable!

raft.jpg
surfmat.jpg
surfmat-1.jpg

Last edited:
Still? I knew some of their older plates and wings didn't have slots but you'd think they would have 'evolved' so to speak. :wink:

Well I have an Eclipse and the last I checked the Infinity still requires and STA. I am not sure about the Traveler wing.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 11:40 AM ----------

More is really a lot worse.

I really and truly think you are doing new divers a disservice by making statements like this. While I agree that it may be non-optimal it is certainly not "a lot worse". Statements like this just confuse new divers and make them afraid they are going to purchase the wrong wing. I see very little difference going from a 20 lb to a 30 lb, even my 37 lb wing is not a lot worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom