How Much Money Did You Spend In Your First Year of Diving?

How much money did YOU spend in the first year after your certification as a diver?

• $ 0.00 - 500.00

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • $ 501.00 - 1000.00

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • $ 1001.00 - 1500.00

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • $ 1501 - 2000.00

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • $ 2001.00 - 2500.00

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • $ 2501.00 - 3000.00

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • $ 3001.00 - 3500.00

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • $ 3501.00 - 4000.00

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Over $4000.00

Votes: 89 29.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shellbird
It doesn't matter what kind of hobbie you have it going to be expensive. Its just the nature of the beast. Everything that is fun is going to cost.:jester:

i clicked in at 35 to 4000 but i shulda clicked in more beacuse i forgot to add the drysuit on order and the 2 HP 120s that i just bought,
now wait since i dont have a DIN adapter for my yoke except to fill the HP 120's i will need a NEW regulator with console ,
now to only convince the wife that i DO NEED it .
:)

Cost of Certification Course (1989) via College Course: ~$150.00
Cost of Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Gloves, & Booties: ~ $200.00
Cost of BC, Wetsuit, Reg, Octo, & SPG: ~ $1500.00

Cost of having a hobby my wife can't do: PRICELESS!

J/K...honestly, I wish she would join me in my hobby. Too bad she can't clear her ears. Would be nice to have a full time diving buddy.

Less than a year - More than $4000 and still have to buy 2 BC's (for kids) and Tanks. I plan on $6000 total.

It's still cheaper than Flying and SkyDiving.

Jeff

The first year... not much, most buy cheap gear in the beginning and then go for the "good gear" when they realize how important it is.
The second to third year when I got into wreck diving I spent thousands. We figured out on the dive boat on the way to a wreck how much money we were wearing when we jumped in for a typical wreck dive. It's around $6000, and that doesn't include the gear at home. That's just what I bring. The dry suit and regs are the most expensive, but the lights, reels, spare everything, and camera/video equipment aren't cheap either, not to mention the 40K for the boat I HAD to have...:)

;-0 I spent more on training than I did anything else. I spent about 130 to 140 to certified, and about 30 per day (2 days) for my open water dives and 45 per day (2 days) for boat tickets. Then our group went on to get ADVANCED open water certifed, which coast about another 150 to 170, with 6 specialities, same cost for gear, boat rides etc, andr it was about 4 more trips. Then me and my new dive buddy did some beach diving, so likeI picked it was pretty close to 1K.

Granted I have far surpassed that in the last year, and will pass it again by far the next couple of years. But I have spent more on my 50 cal pistol, and my two wonderful 45's :wink:

Rich :mean:

i don't even want to add it up. the problem isn't what i've bought but, trying to talk my wife into letting me buy the stuff i want to get yet.:eek:ut:

Originally posted by tcdiver
i don't even want to add it up. the problem isn't what i've bought but, trying to talk my wife into letting me buy the stuff i want to get yet.:eek:ut:

Been there.........................Still doing that........:wink: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom