How Much Money Did You Spend In Your First Year of Diving?

How much money did YOU spend in the first year after your certification as a diver?

• $ 0.00 - 500.00

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • $ 501.00 - 1000.00

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • $ 1001.00 - 1500.00

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • $ 1501 - 2000.00

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • $ 2001.00 - 2500.00

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • $ 2501.00 - 3000.00

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • $ 3001.00 - 3500.00

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • $ 3501.00 - 4000.00

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Over $4000.00

Votes: 89 29.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think about 2500 in US$ terms but I researched the purchases and got some good deals and overall think I got value for money.

Oh lordy am I singing that same tune. I just signed up for my OW course..
course was 395 (including two open water dives at a frigid lake)
mask, fins, snorkel, booties...about 170
but from reading I can see that I have gotten myself into yet another spendy past time.

What a great question - Boy does it make you focus!!

I must be somewhere between 1500 and 2000 bucks. But I have a great pair of custom wetsuits, a nifty BC and reg package and I am really enjoying my diving. Worth every penny? I think so.

MN:mean:

Gosh - this just occurred to me as I posted the last piece.

I'm darn glad that the good people who make this Bulletin Board available to all of us don't charge for the service.

It's been just invaluable to me as a source of information, ready reference and comfort when I think I'm the only dumb one around.

Thank you to team Scubaboard!!

Mike

My first year I spent way too much on stuff I have since replaced with with products by Halcyon, Apeks, and soon Diving Concepts.

~Marlinspike

Originally posted by srkdvr
;-0 I spent more on training than I did anything else. I spent about 130 to 140 to certified, and about 30 per day (2 days) for my open water dives and 45 per day (2 days) for boat tickets. Then our group went on to get ADVANCED open water certifed, which coast about another 150 to 170, with 6 specialities, same cost for gear, boat rides etc, andr it was about 4 more trips. Then me and my new dive buddy did some beach diving, so likeI picked it was pretty close to 1K.

Granted I have far surpassed that in the last year, and will pass it again by far the next couple of years. But I have spent more on my 50 cal pistol, and my two wonderful 45's :wink:

Rich :mean:

Sounds like you had a pretty good deal on training. The norm now is considerable higher.;-0

How long ago was this?:confused:

When I first got into boating, and found myself spending money every year on new gear for the boat, or a bigger boat ever 3 years. I was told that " A boat is only a hole in the water, that you throw money into!"

I am now the hole!

((be the hole))

I was just so excited about getting into scuba that I took the visa card and went crazy!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:
I thought I needed the best of everything. I probably spent over 10 grand. Not including all the trips I have taken and the film processing. It's been soooooooooo worth it though!!!!!!
AMber

It's been 7 months since my OW certification, and I have spent:

OW - 195
First trip - 175
Second trip - 80
AOW + trip to Bali - 450
Basic gear - 460
Third trip - 200
TOTAL: 1,560

Planning to spend at least another 1,000 on BC, reg, and computer next month.

Also two other dive trips, at 400 each. By the end of this year, I would have spent around 3,400 :(

The only drawback of being married to your buddy is you have to get used to that magic factor of 2 everytime you buy a new toy!

I'm hoping I can write it all off against tax as expense incurred in training to be a DM :)

Back
Top Bottom