How Much Money Did You Spend In Your First Year of Diving?

How much money did YOU spend in the first year after your certification as a diver?

• $ 0.00 - 500.00

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • $ 501.00 - 1000.00

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • $ 1001.00 - 1500.00

Votes: 33 10.9%
  • $ 1501 - 2000.00

Votes: 35 11.5%
  • $ 2001.00 - 2500.00

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • $ 2501.00 - 3000.00

Votes: 29 9.5%
  • $ 3001.00 - 3500.00

Votes: 20 6.6%
  • $ 3501.00 - 4000.00

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Over $4000.00

Votes: 89 29.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About £3000 the first year though most of the time I try not to think about it. Its the kind of hobby/pastime where I never quite get the time/money equation right. More time for diving and more money for equipment and expeditions:D

Well i'm glad to dicover that French prices for dive gear and services are much lower...

I bought so much diving gear for me and my wife that I had to enlist the aid of a major accounting firm to help cover up the expense.:beheaded:
We decided to go ahead and spend our children's inheritance and so we could make sure it went to good use:D

I'm new to diving but wow, looking at the costs so far I've spent some real money... not as much as other people but certainly more than I realized. I'm not complaining, the money was worth it so far!!!

First year huh? That would be back in 1976 huh? well, about a grand or so. But last time I submitted an inventory sheet for insurance purposes it was around $14,000 total.
What the hell did I buy? I better go look at this stuff. Be right back...LOL.
db

the money amounts I am quoteing is in cdn dollars. after confined ,bought reg,bc,wet suit,fins,mask,computer,snorkel,knife,light,rock boots,retractor$2600.00. that was nov 2003, then this spring $1200 for dry suit and underware.training ,ow check out dives in fla $200, nitrox $140, aow $200.those training cost do not cover driveing ,food exp. new back updive light $27.00 total $4367.00
I have orderd new 7' hose for my apex atx200 reg do not know what that will cost.planing to take wreck course at quadra iland in b.c. cost of course is $595.00 ,plus travel exp. so before this first year is out way to much fun diveing IT IS ONLY MONEY

Well, this is pretty scary......My first three years of diving cost me less than $200.00. All I had to pay for was mask, snorkle, fins, knife, weights & belt and a French made spring loaded speargun. I don't even think the gun is made any more...lot slower than rubber. Also, I know the fin design is gone forever. They were kinda comical with curved tips. It was before backpack days. The tank harness was just that, shoulder straps and web belt with a buckle which you had to know how to rig for quick release. (not even taught anymore) Anyway, the tanks, air and use of a boat were all free for me for the first three years.

Now my wife is diving and most of our diving is in the Caribbean...most frequently in the Bay Islands. Past year......equipment, dive trips, etc. $10,000 plus. This year won't be as much fun as I've had to stay out of the water for awhile. Oh, yeah and I'm pretty sure that my diving career bagan at a point in time before Rick M's.... Inflation is right!!

I would be afraid to calculate just how much were are paying per dive!!!!

Regards,

Although an old thread dredged up from somewhere, its still pertinent. I think about $6k so far, and its only been 9 months since cert. That includes equipment, training afterwards and a whole bunch of weekend and day trips, still havent made a full week vacation yet for diving - it will come one day. I think my GF has also spent around $5k this year. I should imagine that i will spend at least as much if not a little more next year on more tanks, another wing, more regs, drysuit, more training and such. I dont think $6k is a bad price for 90 dives and over 70 hours BT, should be about the same price for about 110 dives and 90 hours when my "anniversary" comes up. :wink:

Between my husband and myself, we've spent over 15,000 and have been certified for 1 year exactly, but have only done 3 actual dives! After 2 shore dives, we had to buy a boat! So, I guess you could say we've spent 5,000 on real gear, with a lot more to go! Just put a deposit on a trip to Fiji next year...thats another 5,000 if we don't buy any more gear, which I'm sure we will! No one said diving was cheap though!

Amber

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom