How much to change a Suunto D9 battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers to all for your responses. I'm probably pretty comfortable in changing the battery and o-rings myself - actually @Rhone Man, thx for the link and I did come across those instructions before. The only thing I wasn't comfortable with was the pressure test as I obviously can't do that myself. I thought the pressure test had to be done -everytime- the battery/o-ring is changed? If not, then that's great! I can change the battery/o-ring myself.

I have never bothered with the pressure test. If you live at a dive retailer like Brett does, it is easy. Not so much for the rest of us. Plus, all you are really doing is seeing if it leaks - you don't need special equipment to do that - just go diving!

Hi all,

My Suunto D9 battery's flat (and presumably the transmitter too). Taking it to the local dive shop (Suunto authorised), they were going to charge me approx USD$160 (Y12,600) for the D9 and USD$90 (Y7,000) for the transmitter! I know they will need to be pressure tested after the battery/o-ring change but is that somewhat steep!? What do you all pay to have your batteries of your dive computers replaced?

Cheeers

My LDS charges me for the batteries - a few bucks - and changes them as part of annual reg service. I pay less for the full annual service on FOUR sets of regs than your shop is charging you to change the ONE BATTERY on your D9? Yikes!!!!

That said, I have changed the batteries on my Vytec computer and transmitter myself on several occasions. (Usually before a dive trip where I don't want to risk a dead battery.) The batteries are $3-4 each at Radio Shack. It takes about 2min to change them.

If someone was going to charge me $160 + $90 to change the two batteries... they had better sleep with me afterwards and cook me breakfast in the morning!

My LDS charges me for the batteries - a few bucks - and changes them as part of annual reg service. I pay less for the full annual service on FOUR sets of regs than your shop is charging you to change the ONE BATTERY on your D9? Yikes!!!!

That said, I have changed the batteries on my Vytec computer and transmitter myself on several occasions. (Usually before a dive trip where I don't want to risk a dead battery.) The batteries are $3-4 each at Radio Shack. It takes about 2min to change them.

If someone was going to charge me $160 + $90 to change the two batteries... they had better sleep with me afterwards and cook me breakfast in the morning!

Not only is it expensive, it takes 2-3 weeks cos they ship it off somewhere to get it done. I'm guessing it's an overhaul service everytime the battery is changed. What is unusual is that they asked where I bought my D9 from. So I told them Hong Kong. The cost of maintenance for a non-Japanese-purchased D9 costs more than a Japanese-purchased D9. As far as I know, it's the same construction - a D9 is a D9. And this is true even if the D9 is out of warranty.

I wouldn't sleep with them :wink:...not my type.

Everything (and diving gear is not the exception) is very, very expensive in Japan. That would explain the outrageous price quoted for changing the battery to the D9 and transmitter. I do provide the service of battery replacement to any dive computer and have personally replaced the battery to a couple dozen D9´s and a few of their transmitters. A few comments and recommendations:

1. You need the special tool used to unscrew diving watches rear cases to crack open the D9. Any of the several JAXXA (the original Bergeon tool) replicas can be obtained through ebay and will cost you about $ 15. Do not even get started if you don´t have one of those.

2. I would recommend removing the strap before attempting to open the case. You need a small Allen wrench to remove the four (4) screws holding the two parts of the strap.

3. Try to also buy a very inexpensive adjustable watch vise used to hold the D9 steady while you work on it. This watch vise, in turn, should be put into a standard vise fixed to a bench. Otherwise, it would become very difficult to apply the required torque to open and, more important, to close the D9. Frei&Borel sell them on the INTERNET for about $ 5.

4. By all means, do replace the O ring, no matter how nice and preserved the old one looks. On some dive computers you can get away not changing the O ring every now and then. In my experience, that is not the case with the D9. You need to install a new and 100% flexible O ring to insure that the locking ring will remain in place and will not start to unscrew by itself after a few dives. Not only have I seen this happening in a few occasions, but has also been reported by others on this same forum.

5. A final note on the pressure testing. I do pressure test all the watches I repair. On some of them (for example the vyper,the gekko, some TUSA models and the dive rites), the battery enclosure is completely isolated from the electronics. So if the computer floods, can still be saved by washing the battery compartment ASAP with fresh water and letting it dry for 48 hours at ambient temperature. This is not the case with the D9. If water gets into it, it will get to the electronics immediately and this most likely will ruin a $ 1,400 computer beyond repair.

6. Needless to say, thoroughly clean an inspect for debris the slot where the O ring fits and lubricate it with some silicon grease when installing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom