How often do you change your batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What brand 18650s are you using? 90% of them are junk (believe me, I own more than a few). The highest regarded are sanyo and panasonic.

Can confirm Panasonic have great 18650 batts, mine have been great.
Also have some IMR high drain ones that have been amazing but they're only ~1700mAh unless I'm mistaken, don't use them for flashlights though.

Tapatalked

My light is built for C batteries. I have AA enelopes and use the conversion pieces. I have 2 sets of AA's and change them after every night dive. Never had a problem with dead batteries. One set in the charger, one in the light.

For changing batteries on lights, I usually have a set in for the day dives, and sometimes use the light to light up crevasses or little caverns. But before the night dive, I usually swap out to a fully recharged set of battery. My backup light, which I usually don't carry on the day dives, don't have its battery changed throughout the whole liveaboard, unless I've used it significantly, plus they usually have my lower quality rechargeable batteries.

My light is built for C batteries. I have AA enelopes and use the conversion pieces. I have 2 sets of AA's and change them after every night dive. Never had a problem with dead batteries. One set in the charger, one in the light.

I use C battery adapters for my flashlights that requires them, and have AA enelopes in there. It doesn't last the 4 hr or so with the AA, but it does last enough for the dive.

I think the real question is... why didn't you have a backup light?

I have had the pleasure of a light dimming to the point of uselessness on a night dive. I just linked arms with my dive buddy (wife) and enjoyed what she wanted to look at. It was a boat dive in Cozumel, great viz, well supported- no big deal. We have a live aboard coming up in November to Belize- lots of night dives (and I now own a backup just in case.) I was wondering, I you are doing frequent night dives like on a live aboard- how often are you changing batteries? Before each dive? I own a DRIS 1k (not the shorty) and a Intova IFL-WA-ZOOM (this was the one that lost power.) FWIW i did a search and couldn't find anything relevant. Thanks in advance.

I think the answer is that you should change batteries often enough that they do not die during your dive. I do not think it anymore complicated than that. N

First diving trip after cert. I have done a lot more research and development for next trip. I wasn't perfect on my first outdoor rock climb either, live and learn.

I think the real question is... why didn't you have a backup light?

My first thoughts, too.

And then back to the real topic: Nearly all my electronic/electrical stuff runs on rechargeables, which are freshly charged before I go. The only exceptions are my computer (button battery) and my backup light, where I use quality alkaline AAs. Alkalines keep their charge better than 95% of the rechargeables, so for something that just sits on my harness and hardly ever is used, I think they're better. Besides, alkalines die a lot slower than rechargeables do, so if I have a bright beam when I check the light before splashing, I've got enough juice to take me home if my primary light dies during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom