How often does this happen at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For Halloween and April Fool's do you hang out there just to scare the crap out of other divers?
Good idea. :D But really, most of the divers never knew I was there.

I haven't been there in a long time(30+ years), but as I recall there is a grate at the bottom so you can't enter the caves. The video is also deceptive in that the the super wide angle makes it look like you are way far in. As I recall, you can see the entry from the grate. When I was there we were told that lights were not permitted (although that may have only applied to the portions of the spring where you can access the cave system. I was there with a assistant instructor course and I believe we let the OW divers in also.

At the time I thought it was a fun dive, at no time were you out of sight of the entrance.

People have talked about being in there and seeing free divers. Which seems nuts.
I've seen it many times. I think the entrance is around 10-15' deep. Teenagers with snorkels, masks, and fins often swim down, in one entrance and out the other. I'd bet it happens 50 times a day.

On scuba, it's a fun dive. Easy to see out (during the day) and not particularly difficult at night due to a streetlight placed over the water. Not much in the way of silt, and even if you did manage to get something (like chemlight innards) suspended the flow would blow it out in probably less than a minute.

I haven't been there in a long time(30+ years), but as I recall there is a grate at the bottom so you can't enter the caves. The video is also deceptive in that the the super wide angle makes it look like you are way far in. As I recall, you can see the entry from the grate. When I was there we were told that lights were not permitted (although that may have only applied to the portions of the spring where you can access the cave system. I was there with a assistant instructor course and I believe we let the OW divers in also.

At the time I thought it was a fun dive, at no time were you out of sight of the entrance.

The "No light" rule is not in place at the Ballroom, but is in place at the other locations in the park unless you are Cavern/Cave certified. Even in the day time you can go all the way down to the grate and turn your light off and you are in the dark. It is still a very wide open and fun dive. When you come in if you go to the left there are a bunch of little places you can move through.

Actually this got me thinking. If you're with an instructor and shooting a TV show you can go in the cave with OW gear.

Here's a video of some divers with OW gear coming out of the devil's system.

I cringed when I saw that.

Even being cavern certified and doing a "one up" dive with an instructor, you should be in proper cave equipment. Not open water gear.

IIRC, the Scuba Nation guys got cavern certified before they filmed. They were also back in May for cave training, I was there.
Does that instructor make a habit of taking divers into the cave with OW gear?

You should be able to see daylight from Devil's Ear right where that sign is located. It's right at the end of the cavern zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom