How old can u scuba dive to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 61 and have been at this sport for a while. I believe you can dive until there is that first hint you are perhaps becoming a danger to yourself and to other people. When that moment arrives it is time to hang up your fins and, begin recounting your adventures. Until then, have at it.

I enjoy diving more now than I did when my age was barely two digits and, I was snorkeling the "First Reef" off of the old Kenilworth Hotel on Miami Beach.

"You will never grow old if you never grow up." - Caxambus Pass

I'm 60 years old been diving 20 years, hope to dive 20 more. Also seen people 20 year old that shouldn't be diving.

Just found this thread and has it made me feel great! I did my OW cert at 29 and my DM at 51. I will now be doing my IE as part of my retirement pre-planning. Your as young as you feel and it's only the "packaging" which will eventually slow me down...

You can dive yourself right into the grave.... literally

Oldest competent diver I've dove with was 83... and she would have dove circles around anyone else I know... Oldest I've certified... 78... and he was more than competent.

I constantly tell people that diving will make you young again... and it's never too late to get started...

Dive On!

Thanks, the reason I ask is because I am 41 and considering getting certified. I just want to know how many good years I got left in me.:)

How many years do you have left to dive???? Lots I hope!!! I'm 60 and just got certified last week, and I'm looking (actually hoping ) to dive for a long time, which is relative at my age.

Come on “go for it,” you won't be sorry, you're not getting any younger, and if you're concerned about your longevity then more the reason to start diving now. If you end up really loving the sport you'll have a great reason to get in, or stay in, good physical shape and health. That should add a few years.

I'm 58 , just finished my AOW. Been diving for 2 years. I think a lot if it has to do with how you feel about the water and diving - if it clicks for you, then you learn how to work around any physical issues you might have. I recently did ten dives in a week - I was pretty tired but loved it - but you couldn't pay me enough to get on a horse. Those things are dangerous :)

Hi everyone, I'm back! I have been quite busy lately with work and other things. I did get to sign up for a cert. class with a local dive store. I wanted to go with YMCA at first but they didn't have a class at the time and I would have to wait a month or two. With my Florida vacation coming up soon, that wasn't an option. I completed the pool classes and did the open water dives, I took the writing test the other day and got a 90% on a 50 question test so that wasn't bad. Funny thing I want to mention is that my instructor who is also the owner of the dive store belong to NAUI so that means I would be NAUI certified but the book and test I was given are the PADI book. His explanation to this is that the PADI book and test is easier for the students. Anyway, I should be getting my NAUI C-card shortly. Hopefully before I start my vacation. That's it for now, it's late and I gotta go to sleep...:snore:

Congrats and good luck. I know you'll find that the more you dive the better you'll feel. It was a lifestyle change for me. A good one. Here's to a long and storied diving career.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom