How old is too old to get certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't drag my six foot dive buddy out of the water very far at all. Am I an acceptable buddy?

My cave instructor has a client who comes down once a year to do a week of diving. She is in her late 70's. She can't carry doubles to the water any more, but Danny doesn't seen to have any problem with helping her -- I suspect she's quite fine in the water. Should he refuse to guide her?

As someone said, risk calculations start to skew a little as you get older.

One of the things I have noticed about older people, guys in particular, we do not have to prove anything or feel that we do anymore and with some few exceptions most are not into impressing the fairer (other) sex anymore so no longer show off (and admit, go ahead, you used to show off to the girls, at least a little). And mostly they are beyond the "hey, watch this" and "no fear" foolishness of youth and most have discovered that they are not in fact impervious to pain or damage and so are quite wise and cautious. So, my point being, there are an awful lot of really, really good older divers out there. And some are still quite good to go even when a little extra is called for from the old boiler room.

N

I absolutely agree, it isn't my place to make that decision or not for him. He needs to talk to the LDS, understand the risks, and decide for himself if this is something he really wants. I'd have a difficult time being a buddy though with him. The inherent risks are much higher at that age, and I'd be watching him the entire time so I was ready to do a rescue.

I would be much more worried about diving with a minor. They can swim fast and if you kill them, a lot of people will be pissed.. Compare that to.. "the 92 yr old geezer croaked on a dive with me" ... big deal really..If he can drive car and can swim and can engage in a brisk walk.. what the hell.. let him dive..

I used to dive with an old guy who really couldn't reach his fin straps anymore (not without great difficulty) so I would pop his heels strap loose while he was kneeling on the platform.. big deal. he could still dive and swim well.

I love the idea of being able to dive till well, I croak, and from a diver's perspective, I'd definitely encourage him to try if he was interested, taking the necessary precautions (e.g. full check up).

But from a dive shop/dive company's perspective, I can understand why they might say he is too old. Not because he is literally too old to be a competent diver, but because it increases their chance of a dead/seriously injured diver under their care.
And when a 90 year old croaks under your care, even when it's completely out of your control, people aren't going to say oh well, who cares, he was old. People are going to say 'How could the professionals (DM's, instructors or anyone related to the company) let him dive! They obviously care more for the money than the diver! He was just an amateur/recreational/beginner/learner, he wouldn't have known, but the experts should have known!'

a Lot of people mentioned yes he should be able to learn to dive after being checked out by a Dr. WHY would he have to have a Dr. exam and authorization to learn to dive if he can honestly answer NO to all of the medical questions and has no other issues that would contraindicate diving. I say if he can learn and demonstrate the skills pass the written exam and stand up for for the picture on the card let him go for it. All the power to him. I personally don't want to sit around an extra year or two waiting to die when i can go a year or so early while having a blast and living life to the fullest.

btw I personally will hang up my gear when i can't handle it myself. I may have to make adjustments along the way to extend that like going side mount or only diving warm water but that is my personal bar that I have set for myself.

Why would anybody care, if a 90 year old wanted to learn to dive? He's going to die very soon, no matter what; why not enjoy something exciting and new, rather than sit in a chair and wait for the inevitable?
IMHO, that is your best post ever, Lynne.

I live in a very close neighborhood. We all mind our own business, but rise to the occasion when needed. One of our own was a 98 y/o widow, living alone in our midst, with no family. Chatted with her often on her daily walks. She recently passed. The hospital was wonderful. Endless stream of visitors. I hold the distinction of the last person to enter cardiac ICU with her espresso. :D And no, it wasn't her heart that went first.

The tyranny of youth indeed.
Indeed. Remember that we are the generation that doesn't go quietly.

I think it is his buisness and not yours. What is the worst that could happen? You think he is afraid of dying? I would imagine at 90 something he might have a different perspective than you on life. ...
:wink:

... risk calculations start to skew a little as you get older.
:kiss2:

One of the things I have noticed about older people, guys in particular, we do not have to prove anything ...
No comment.

a Lot of people mentioned yes he should be able to learn to dive after being checked out by a Dr. WHY would he have to have a Dr. exam and authorization to learn to dive if he can honestly answer NO to all of the medical questions and has no other issues that would contraindicate diving. .
Ageism.

... is there anything preventing a 90 year old healthy man from learning to scuba? ...
Yep. He has to meet standards. But in today's world, he could do it between chest compressions.

... The guy is truly old enough to have earned the right to decide his own risk.. :D
Yes.

... I get serious difficulty from some operators when they see my DOB on the C cards, and this gets worse every year. It's on my mind every trip I take. Apprehension. The tyranny of the young. ...
You? OMG.

Fist salute and call them on it.

I'd love to see your oppressors dive in YOUR local conditions...
How old is too old to get certified?

When you're dead.

As others have said, if they can meet the standards and medical, they get the card.
If they can meet the standards and medical, they get the card.

Well I was working on a shore-end survey for a submarine cable back in 1975 in Venezuela and we had contracted a local diving team. When we started operations it seemed to be 2 divers plus a fairly old boat driver, mid 80s.
The 2 younger ones did the shallower dives but to my surprise when we started on the deeper dives the boat driver started kitting up. Obviously I had to ask questions. According to the lead diver he was actually diving on doctor's orders. His doctor had told him that the day he stopped doing regular deep dives he would lock up from arthritis. After I made sure he was insured and reread our contract and checked I had no liability I let him go. Over the next week he did a lot of deep dives for us and had no problems at all.

Attachments

• Venez75-diveteam-lowres.jpg
    Venez75-diveteam-lowres.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 66
I can't drag my six foot dive buddy out of the water very far at all. Am I an acceptable buddy?

My cave instructor has a client who comes down once a year to do a week of diving. She is in her late 70's. She can't carry doubles to the water any more, but Danny doesn't seen to have any problem with helping her -- I suspect she's quite fine in the water. Should he refuse to guide her?

As someone said, risk calculations start to skew a little as you get older.

I can't think of many people I'd rather have around in an emergency than you :flowers:

I had an interesting conversation with the wife of one of my favourite dive buddies. I was questioning myself after an incident. I told her I was questioning if I should dive with her husband because there was no way I would be able to get him out of the water. He is well over 6 feet and built large. She looked at me and said "Who do you think could? We know that but we also know you are the one we would want there the most if something goes wrong!"

Better to live till you die than be dead while you are alive! Do a risk analysis, decide on the dive and just be fair enough to others that they get to chose if they want to dive with you. I'd rather dive with a sensible "oldie" than a risk taking young buck any day!

My wife and I were on a boat with two divers with significant age-related problems. One fellow was in his mid-80's and unable to schlepp his gear. With help, he more or less assembled himself in the water, but became a bit befuddled. But for the very quick recognition by a DM of the diver's inappropriate in-water fumbling, his weight belt would have been lost. Clearly a mix of mental and physical problems. He was strongly discouraged from further diving and he acquiesced. The other man was suffering from major loss of his mental abilities. He was accompanied by a much younger wife who got him assembled prior to each dive, then managed him through the entire dive, being in constant physical contact. They dove every day. On anther trip, a hale and hearty couple in their mid-80's did 2 morning boat dives every day. Just lacked the strength to gear up on deck. At home, they were thrice weekly divers helping clean the local aquarium. Folks manage according to the situation and their needs. As it should be.

I have dove with several people in their 80's. I am sure there are 90 year old divers out there. They ( and I even at 62) need to do conservative profiles and be sure to limit diving to their experience and competence level. But by being smart and reasonable, lots of seniors, some extremely senior, and enjoy recreational diving.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom