How to assemble DSS backplate and bolt-on weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart,

How many times have you called me now for advice? 2-3?

Did I not spent at least 40 minutes on the phone detailing what I recommend in a BP&W for you?

Then you choose to ignore my advise, buy a used set up with different wing than I recommend for warm water diving.

When you called about fasteners I did answer your question fully.

I specifically told you that you need 1/4 x 20 "button heads" in stainless steel, and a pair of washers.

IIRC you stated that you purchased used, non standard thickness prototype weight plates.

These require fasteners of a length we don't have on hand. That's why I suggested you
*go* to a marine supply and find fasteners that don't project through the weight plates.

Good grief.

Tobin
Once, for advice, if you will. But, you are still on conclusions that you jumped to then. I had already purchased my rig. There was no option for me, at that time, to implement your advice right then. I had what I had and no money to immediately replace what I had with a bigger back plate and smaller wing. I got my rig for $35 off CL, so it's not like I stupidly went out and spent money foolishly without researching it properly first. I think it was an excellent purchase! I did implement your advice as quickly as I could, by making a trade for another used DSS back plate in size Large. And I have been working on also somehow getting myself a smaller wing - per your advice.

I'm sorry my finances didn't allow me to implement your advice immediately.

I called another time to attempt to purchase mounting hardware for the bolt on weights. And one other time to inquire about getting a leaking wing fixed, but I didn't speak to you that time.

Once, for advice, if you will. But, you are still on conclusions that you jumped to then. I had already purchased my rig. There was no option for me, at that time, to implement your advice right then. I had what I had and no money to immediately replace what I had with a bigger back plate and smaller wing. I got my rig for $35 off CL, so it's not like I stupidly went out and spent money foolishly without researching it properly first. I think it was an excellent purchase! I did implement your advice as quickly as I could, by making a trade for another used DSS back plate in size Large. And I have been working on also somehow getting myself a smaller wing - per your advice.

I called another time to attempt to purchase mounting hardware for the bolt on weights. And one other time to inquire about getting a leaking wing fixed, but I didn't speak to you that time.

I once had a gentleman who runs a a small accommodation on bonaire tell me that, when asked if had had availability, he had one of three responses:

1. I have room
2. I have no room
3. I have no room FOR YOU

i think if I were tobin it would be "I have no time FOR YOU"

Once, for advice, if you will. But, you are still on conclusions that you jumped to then. I had already purchased my rig.

That changes exactly what? Did I not spend considerable time educating you about how various diving applications impact the choices in Backplate and wing selection?

There was no option for me, at that time, to implement your advice right then. I had what I had and no money to immediately replace what I had with a bigger back plate and smaller wing. I got my rig for $35 off CL, so it's not like I stupidly went out and spent money foolishly without researching it properly first. I think it was an excellent purchase! I did implement your advice as quickly as I could, by making a trade for another used DSS back plate in size Large. And I have been working on also somehow getting myself a smaller wing - per your advice.

Lack of finances doesn't justify using people.

Again, I took your call, and I was very specific regarding the fastener types you needed. Once I understood you had prototype weights that we to not sell, and do not have the proper length fasteners for I recommended you source all the fasteners locally so you could:

1) Save some $$.

2) Get exactly what you needed.

1/4" diam x 20 tpi fasteners are extremely common, almost any hardware jobber will have a selection. This advice is no different than I would give to *anybody* looking for $1-$2 worth of fasteners + $4-8 in freight.

Sure glad I made the effort.

Tobin

I purchased a used BP/W setup from eBay with a DRIS wing. I really wasn't concerned with the wing but wanted the other items included. When I received the wing I liked it but it had a pinch flat, so I contacted Mike at DRIS to order a new bladder, explaining where I purchased the wing. Unfortunately he didn't have a bladder to sell me, but offered to patch the wing for free. I have purchased some items from DRIS in the past but I would not consider myself a big customer. Mike scored a ton of goodwill with me by offering to fix it for free and not being snarky about where I purchased it from.

I really have no reason to defend DSS, but as a regular on SB it is truly evident that you relinquish no opportunity to bash Tobin, either directly or indirectly. IMO it gets tiresome quick and undermines your overall credibility. FWIW, YMMV, IJS.

I got some of the DSS bolt-on weights (used) for my DSS backplate. But, they did not come with any hardware for mounting them or any instructions. Hopefully, someone here can help me with some info. I called DSS and spoke with Tobin to try and purchase the necessary hardware to attach the plates. He seemed annoyed with me for calling him at all, since I didn't buy the weights from him, and told me to just go somewhere local and buy 1/4-20 x 3/8 SS screws. IIRC, he did not specify button head or flat socket head and I definitely didn't think to ask about that.

You seemed to forget to mention you got a "not for sale" prototype. Honest, if I am making a prototype of anything which was NOT mean to be sold, it is not even an official product. And if you somehow get a hold of it and need my support, I will probably have no time for you either. The fact that Tobin told you what spec of bolt to buy, to me he is already doing way more than he committed for (which is nothing at all in this case).

Asking for help and adive is OK, it is what the forum is for. But complaining about not getting support that you are not entitled for usually get people started.

IIRC you stated that you purchased used, non standard thickness prototype weight plates.

Tobin

Did Stuart know before he called DSS that what he had purchased was in fact a not-meant-for-sale prototype?

Let me be clear, despite the light Tobin is trying to cast on it, what I got was a set of standard DSS bolt-on weight plates.

The seller also threw in a set of lighter, prototype weight plates. When I called Tobin to PURCHASE the mounting hardware, I asked him about the hardware to mount the standard weight plates. I never asked him what I needed to mount the prototypes. Later in the conversation, I did mention that I also had gotten the prototypes, but I never asked him about mounting them. His explosion at me for even being in possession of them, and his follow-on ASSUMPTION that I wanted his help with them immediately curtailed the whole phone call.

Let me be clear, despite the light Tobin is trying to cast on it, what I got was a set of standard DSS bolt-on weight plates.

The seller also threw in a set of lighter, prototype weight plates. When I called Tobin to PURCHASE the mounting hardware, I asked him about the hardware to mount the standard weight plates. I never asked him what I needed to mount the prototypes. Later in the conversation, I did mention that I also had gotten the prototypes, but I never asked him about mounting them. His explosion at me for even being in possession of them, and his follow-on ASSUMPTION that I wanted his help with them immediately curtailed the whole phone call.

This is total nonsense.

I became aware that you had prototype weight plates when you asked *HOW* you could attach *BOTH* the standard weights *AND* the prototype weights to your back plate *AT THE SAME TIME*

When I informed you that this was 1) Not possible, by design weight plates cannot be "stacked", and 2) Definitely not recommend you elected to argue with me about it, go figure.

Despite that I still told you exactly what you needed for fasteners, to use each set of plates individually, i.e. 1/4 x 20 tpi Stainless Button heads and a pair of washers.

I also suggested you source them locally because we didn't have the fasteners needed for the prototype plates, and it would be cheaper for you to buy what you needed locally.

Tobin

I really have no reason to defend DSS, but as a regular on SB it is truly evident that you relinquish no opportunity to bash Tobin, either directly or indirectly. IMO it gets tiresome quick and undermines your overall credibility. FWIW, YMMV, IJS.

It's a trend.:rofl3:
He is persistent.

When Tobin posts....."He" will come.
When someone buys some second hand gear of yours.........it can haunt you. :wink:

Back monkey.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom