How to assemble DSS backplate and bolt-on weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They won't make it in a padded mailing envelope.

No worries.
Thank you for checking.

That's a great deal, for anyone that wants those plates.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2015 at 09:43 AM ----------

But how do you attach them?[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rofl3:
Well played!

I'll take em! Assuming this isn't to add to the joke this thread has become. :wink:

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2015 at 11:46 AM ----------

I'll pm ya.

Wow! Anybody else need a set of these weight plates? I have a pair left over from when I was a dealer years ago. I let them go for $35.00 plus shipping. I just weighed them and with the bolts they are 7.5lbs.

Either your scale is off, or what you have aren't the current 3/8" thick SS plates. Medium plates with fasteners = 8.07 lbs, Large plates with fasteners 8.15 lbs.

We used to offer 1/4" plates, but those would ~2/3 or the above numbers, i.e. 5 ish lbs.

Just don't want somebody to get something other that what they expect.

Tobin

Either your scale is off, or what you have aren't the current 3/8" thick SS plates. Medium plates with fasteners = 8.07 lbs, Large plates with fasteners 8.15 lbs.

We used to offer 1/4" plates, but those would ~2/3 or the above numbers, i.e. 5 ish lbs.

Just don't want somebody to get something other that what they expect.

Tobin

I just put a measuring tape on them and they are 3/8" and at the longest point they are 11-7/8" long and 3-7/8" wide. Not sure what model the set it but I know it came from DSS about 5 or 6 years ago.
DSS Weight Plate 2.jpg

I just put a measuring tape on them and they are 3/8" and at the longest point they are 11-7/8" long and 3-7/8" wide. Not sure what model the set it but I know it came from DSS about 5 or 6 years ago.
View attachment 205770

Looks like 8.1 lbs weight plates for a medium DSS back plate.

Better calibrate that scale. :wink:

Tobin

Did Stuart know before he called DSS that what he had purchased was in fact a not-meant-for-sale prototype?

If he doesn't know, it is still NOT Tobin's fault.

Analogy to my own profession. I design SSDs for various usage. There are stacks of prototype on my desk. I usually throw the older prototypes into security trash and they get picked up once a while. Whoever my company hire to pick them up could easily keep them for themselves for even sell them on eBay/Craigslist, and it has happened. If you happen to take your chance and buy one, and have issue, I don't think I or my company are obligated to offer support of any kind at all.

If he doesn't know, it is still NOT Tobin's fault.

Analogy to my own profession. I design SSDs for various usage. There are stacks of prototype on my desk. I usually throw the older prototypes into security trash and they get picked up once a while. Whoever my company hire to pick them up could easily keep them for themselves for even sell them on eBay/Craigslist, and it has happened. If you happen to take your chance and buy one, and have issue, I don't think I or my company are obligated to offer support of any kind at all.

Read my two posts after the post you just responded to.

I called to BUY mounting hardware for the standard bolt-on plates - not the prototypes.

Also, I called the OEM and spoke to them for a grand total of 12 minutes, over 3 calls, roughly half of which was talking to the woman who answered the phone. I called to ask questions about gear they made, which I purchased used. The owner of the company got huffy with me on the phone for taking up 6 minutes of his time to ask him about gear he made, and has now accused me of USING him.

I suspect if I buy a used HOG reg or wing or a ScubaPro reg or an Oceanic computer, and I call any of those companies to ask about the gear I bought, I would not be treated as if I have irritated the person I'm talking to and get accused of using them. I even have this little fantasy that at least some of those companies would treat me as if they are happy to have a new user in the fold and hopeful that a good product and friendly customer service would result in my continued patronage in the future, as well as spreading the good word about them.

Fortunately, I think I'm not really the vindictive or petty type, so despite the way Tobin has spoken to me on the phone and on this forum, I really like my DSS BPW and I have gone out of my way to explain why like it so much, including posting details of the specific features that I think make it stand out, in more than one "what BC should I buy" thread. I think the gear is really good (though I have a couple of very minor nits I'd pick with DSS wings). I think the engineering is really good. I would do a couple of things differently, but I totally respect the reasons Tobin made the choices he made. I think the gear prices are very reasonable. And I think the repair prices are also very reasonable. I'd still recommend a DSS BP/W to anyone (with the full disclosure to them that it's the only BPW I have personally actually used - I'm not an expert and I don't want anyone to have the false impression that I am or that I even think I am).

Read my two posts after the post you just responded to.

I called to BUY mounting hardware for the standard bolt-on plates - not the prototypes.

Also, I called the OEM and spoke to them for a grand total of 12 minutes, over 3 calls, roughly half of which was talking to the woman who answered the phone. I called to ask questions about gear they made, which I purchased used. The owner of the company got huffy with me on the phone for taking up 6 minutes of his time to ask him about gear he made, and has now accused me of USING him.

Let's run a poll of those who have contacted me for advice about backplates.

Let's see how often the conversation lasts 5-6 minutes.

It doesn't for simple reason I can't explain what *I* think the diver needs to understand about BP&W's in 5 minutes, just does not happen.

I'm pretty damn adamant that my customers understand why I made the recommendation I did, under what conditions the gear I recommended is appropriate, and more importantly under what conditions it may no longer be appropriate.

I remember your calls, you had all sorts of questions about warm water and described your intentions to pursue a "wreck" diving course using a single tank and (shudder) pony bottle.

There is simply no way I'd spend 5 minutes on such a broad range of applications.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom