How to attach a bolt snap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A disadvantage of soaking the line is it makes it hard to burn the end to make a little knob and keep it from unravelling.

I have never soaked the line first, but my thought was that you would cut the line, then let it sit overnight before burning the end. BTW, I always use the side of the lighter rather than the end as I find I get a much better outer surface.

I have never soaked the line first, but my thought was that you would cut the line, then let it sit overnight before burning the end. BTW, I always use the side of the lighter rather than the end as I find I get a much better outer surface.
LOL Hey, once I've got that snap tied on, i want to get in the water!
You mean to bump the cut end to get it to make a little knob?

I got some #24 cave line and a new DGX 600 light and a bolt snap from DGX.

I tied the bolt snap to the light using the cave line, following the directions here:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

I took my time. I double-checked the instructions. I believe I followed them exactly. I pulled the line as tight as I could when I performed step #5. I melted the ends of the line and mashed them with the end of the lighter.

Then, I turned the light on and left it on for a while to put the battery through a full discharge/recharge cycle. The light was pretty hot after a while, so I filled up the kitchen sink with water and put it in there.

Almost immediately after putting it in the water, I could see that my knot holding the bolt snap had loosened quite a bit.

Can someone share some wisdom on how to do this again where it will stay tied?

As for your link above, in step 7 and 8, I was taught to melt the end of the line back until the molten nylon on the loose end bonds into the nylon of the knot itself. Done right, it can not untie. We use a simple Bic style lighter, as shown, and use the end of the plastic lighter to push and meld the molten nylon into the knot nylon.

LOL Hey, once I've got that snap tied on, i want to get in the water!
You mean to bump the cut end to get it to make a little knob?

Well I get that, but I usually tie any new ones needed the night before as I get all my gear prepared.

Yes, I burn the end until it is ALMOST all molten back to the knot. Then I press and hold it tight against against the knot with the side of the lighter. It makes a wide mushroom head that is tight against the know. There is no way it can come undone.

Well I get that, but I usually tie any new ones needed the night before as I get all my gear prepared.

Yes, I burn the end until it is ALMOST all molten back to the knot. Then I press and hold it tight against against the knot with the side of the lighter. It makes a wide mushroom head that is tight against the know. There is no way it can come undone.
I do it gypsyjim's way....melt the end back into the knot. Never had one come loose that way either.

Yes, I don't imagine it would! I just like the look of the reef knot.

my apologies, thought this one had multiple settings, similar thread came up on the hog light and got confused. No low, setting, but either way, you can use it intermittently on the surface, i.e. walking back to the car or whatever, but it isn't designed to be burned through the whole battery on land, throw it in the sink or a bucket of water, it will thank you.

Regarding the knots, you can do one of two things, burn the ends before you tie, will be a bit long, then when it dries recut/burn it, or you can use a butane lighter which is hot enough to evaporate the water and still burn it. It isn't instantaneous, but it works.

As for your link above, in step 7 and 8, I was taught to melt the end of the line back until the molten nylon on the loose end bonds into the nylon of the knot itself. Done right, it can not untie. We use a simple Bic style lighter, as shown, and use the end of the plastic lighter to push and meld the molten nylon into the knot nylon.

If you are going to use line this is the best way to do it so the knot will never come loose. I could not get a good look at the back of the light but from what I can see you should be able to attach the bolt snap to it with a SS shackle instead.

IMG_1958.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom