How to attach a bolt snap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find the whole argument over being able to break or cut ties way over blown. In over 50 years of diving that includes military, commercial, and some fairly advanced recreational diving I have never even considered a situation where breaking the tie would be a useful.

I suspect that this is an over-reaction to the accident that happened on the Doria involving what has become known as a suicide clip: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...12-actual-deaths-involving-suicide-clips.html

View attachment 202163

They can get an over-sized line caught in them that can be very difficult to get out and can latch onto them by dragging them across it. That isn’t an issue with a bolt snap.

I agree this seems like they are majoring on the minor. I have never had a need to do this during thousands of hours working underwater over 4+ decades. The so called suicide clip has never been a problem either but I tend to use carabiners that are just a larger version of the same thing. They are easier to use with gloves and easier to clear should something get inside.

OVPOL.jpg

For those who are concerned about line getting inside the carabiner there is also a version with a locking gate to prevent this.

1183762.jpg

ok, look. It weakens the knot, it weakens the line, the knot weakens the pull strength of the line, but when the hell are you ever putting 100+lbs of force on the bolt snap?
#18-150lb ish
#24-225lb ish -common cave line and what is usually used for this
#36-325lb ish -common wreck line, not usually used, nor needed.

You will cut your hand long before you can put enough force to break #24 line straight, the knot significantly reduces the breaking strength, as does the fact that it is in the water, but you are still having to put 100+lbs on it to get it to break. You burn the bitter ends into the knot and it melts say 25% of the line, you're still over 50lbs force and that is still above what it takes to realistically break the knot, and that is PER line, there is generally 2-4 pieces of line you are pulling against. You aren't going to break it.

Another option for this would be a round long splice. This will only reduce the SWL of the line by 10% and would be easier to find and cut by feel. This would need to be done with a larger 3 strand polypropylene line rather then braided line.

IMG_2282.jpg

If you look between the 3 & 4 O'clock position on the line you will see where the ends are melted together.

Knot it.. Dab of superglue and GTG.

I never got it wet before tying it but now I'm curious. Will see how that works.

Another option for this would be a round long splice. This will only reduce the SWL of the line by 10% and would be easier to find and cut by feel. This would need to be done with a larger 3 strand polypropylene line rather then braided line.

Interesting! But, I don't think I'll do that to attach a bolt snap to my backup light. :)

However, all this does remind me of a semi-related question I had: How do you take a piece of bungee cord and tie it into a circle for putting on a Hogarthian harness as the LPI retainer?

I made mine by running the ends under the webbing, alongside the D-ring, so each end of the bungee came out opposite sides. Then I tied each end in a Fisherman's Knot (I think) around the bungee that it was next to. I.e. the same way you make your own bungee necklace - with the part that would hold a reg mouthpiece (if it were ACTUALLY a bungee necklace) being under the webbing (and on top of the tri-slide) and the knots just sticking out each end.

But, that seems like a kind of complicated way to do it. Yet I haven't thought of a simpler way that seems good.

FullSizeRender.jpg

A simple loop with an overhand knot works fine as well, and the overhand knot is less likely to come undone than a square knot, and does not require any melting or gluing. Here it's used to attach to a loop of bungee but it can be used to attach to a bolt snap.

Here's another method using a single overhand knot.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Anything I need to semi-permanently "tie" something to, I use paracord with the internal threads removed.

However, all this does remind me of a semi-related question I had: How do you take a piece of bungee cord and tie it into a circle for putting on a Hogarthian harness as the LPI retainer?

But, that seems like a kind of complicated way to do it. Yet I haven't thought of a simpler way that seems good.

If you are setting up a harness then I prefer the large O-ring solution al la Halcyon alternatively you can use a woman's hair tie. These things seem interesting if you want a replaceable solution. This would probably be the most permanent trouble free solution just run the low pressure hose through the loop.

Last edited:
Interesting! But, I don't think I'll do that to attach a bolt snap to my backup light. :)

I made mine by running the ends under the webbing, alongside the D-ring, so each end of the bungee came out opposite sides. Then I tied each end in a Fisherman's Knot (I think) around the bungee that it was next to. I.e. the same way you make your own bungee necklace - with the part that would hold a reg mouthpiece (if it were ACTUALLY a bungee necklace) being under the webbing (and on top of the tri-slide) and the knots just sticking out each end.

i do similar, takes about 1 minute.

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom