How to become a commercial diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also consider: National Polytechnic College of Science • Commercial diving school focusing on marine technology, engineering technology, and hyperbaric technology., and Santa Barbara City College, there are several others, but in addition to the school already listed, these have great track records for commercial divers. Also consider learning to weld. The only entry requirement is open water certification. They will train you in the basics, then learn fast in the field.. Good luck.

Thank you so much, my dad is a great welding machanic. Do I get to learn the skill with the employer or should I go to a school for that first?

The OP should remember that there are many ways to be a proffessional diver. He could become a DM or instructor, he could go to comercial diving school and work on an oil rig or construction projects, he could get a PHD and become a research diver, he could be become a media diver and work for TV and movie productions or as an underwater stock photographer, or he could join the Navy and hope to make it though the SEALs. The fact that he doesn't really know what a commercial/proffesional diver is leads me to believe this might not be the best career path for him at this juncture.

diveandclimb, thank you for your great advice. Although Navy or the Navy SEALs are still my passion, I have passed the age to join them. I am thinking to convert a hobbie into a profession, so that I can utlize it to do something.

Most companies will not train you to weld. A good topside stick welder is very valuable in the field. Learn to weld first. Then go to school. Topside welders (good ones) often find more work oportunities than non welders (I learned to weld as I went, definitely a handicap when looking for work).

Speaking of the Navy...or instead of Seals if all he wants to really do is dive he could be a Navy salvage "engineer" diver...

Yeah....join the Navy and make pennies on the dollar compared to the guy doing the same work who did NOT join the Navy.

Before you pay for all the classes, make sure you really want to do it....speak to someone who's doing it.
True that. I've talked to quite a few ex-commercial divers and all of them had said the same thing to me about commercial diving: "The money was good, although not spectacular, this job helped them financially at the time they needed it - but it was hard work, in very difficult conditions, nothing remotely like rec diving and they would think twice before doing it again or wouldn't do it anymore at all."

Hello Shunshun,

Speaking as a former commercial diver, I have to agree with many of the responses I have seen here; especially ShakaZulu and Mislav. First off, a disclaimer: I left the business over 30 years ago, so keep that in mind when you read my post. I think there are a few commercial divers who post here, better get their fresh take.

You may think (as I did) that you love diving so much that you want to be a commercial diver. Great, nothing wrong with that. But don't think it will be anything like you have experienced as a sport diver. Still OK? Now, decide if you will like to live offshore or away from home for long periods of time. Do you have a wife, family, sweetheart, pet, car, anyone or anything you can't leave behind? I know there are jobs in commercial diving that will keep you inshore, but for the most part the money and work is offshore. Try to get a job working offshore and see how you like it. Remember, unlike the guys who work two weeks on, two weeks off, you may be on the job for a month, two months…who knows how long.

If after you have honestly answered that you can live with these restrictions, go for it. (I think I remember) you said your dad is an experienced welder. Have him teach you everything he can about welding, cutting, etc. It will come in handy not just in school, but on your resume.

Good luck and keep us posted.

couv

double post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom