How to categorize beginner, intermediate, advance diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
I always thought you could tell the difference by how someone looks in their gear on the boat or the stories they tell going to the dive site. :D

So your saying you don't want a dive buddy whose story starts. "I was at 2000 feet and had a problem. So I dumped my weigthts and inflated my BC. But keep my head down of course so the pressure change whould squeezs the nitorgen out of my legs and body to be exhaled" :) :11:

anemone:
I am very much relieved after hearing you all.There's some comfort.

And Kriterian, about your curiousity, i asked because when i browse in some diving magazines and websites, it said for intermediate divers..or for all levels..or advance etc..so just to keep a peace in mind..i'd like to fit in...

Thank you all..it's very much appreciated.
:10:

I wouldn't let that stop you. I know several advanced divers (and instructors) that learn something from Dive Training magazine which targets beginners and their teachers. Although I'm a beginner I also enjoy reading Advanced Diver Magazine which is published by a fellow scubaboard member. Sure the ADM dives are way over my head, but that doesn't mean I can't learn something or enjoy them.

You'll be ok as long as you don't get that "I can't possibly learn anything more" attitude, because a good diver is always learning.

OE2X:
I always thought you could tell the difference by how someone looks in their gear on the boat or the stories they tell going to the dive site. :D

Oh, you certainly can. :wink:

Which reminds me of the time I was solo diving on the Doria...

alcina:
Yup, don't go by logged dives.

I've seen those with 700+ logged dives in a variety of diving environments who are terrible divers. Bad buoyancy, no air management, no navigation skills...

And I've had the pleasure of diving with people with fewer than 20 dives who are aware of themselves, their buddy and their environment and dived within their limits.

I agree that number alone is not an indicator. However, the more dives you have the more likely the person is a "better" diver. In the absence of any other information, such as on Scuba Board, the divers with the most logged dives are most likely the most advanced. The level is always relative to the company.

--Matt

Kriterian:
You'll be ok as long as you don't get that "I can't possibly learn anything more" attitude, because a good diver is always learning.

in any sport, once you get that feeling quit...that's when the sport is about to humble you most..

I agree with NWGRATEFULDIVER's post and would add that I would not consider someone an advanced diver unless they have taken a rescue course. Having a buddy who can control their buoyancy, frog-kick in reverse and carry my gear for me won't help if they can't get both of us out of a bad situation.

MaxBottomtime:
Having a buddy who can control their buoyancy, frog-kick in reverse and carry my gear for me won't help if they can't get both of us out of a bad situation.
Humm... Sounds like you're saying that you really don't know if someone is an advanced diver or not until things go sideways. Or at least until you have drilled with them under real conditions.

We all know that the only real way to tell the experience of a diver is by the number of d-rings and clips on the BC. And colors. He should have lots of d-rings and lots of colors.

It also helps if he has an AOW cert and a total of 20 dives. That means he's so good at diving he was promoted quickly. A real natural.

:D

NWGratefulDiver:
It's very difficult to quantify, as individual divers may excel at one aspect or another ... but it certainly has nothing to do with number of logged dives. I have logged over 1,200 dives, and have dive buddies with half (or less) of my experience who are better than I am at certain skills.

Some general rules of thumb that may (or not) be applied ...

Beginner - Still working on basic buoyancy skills ... has to keep finning in order to stay off the bottom. Swims in a "fins down" position (to varying degrees) ... typically kicking hard and breathing hard. Has no idea where they're going ... but they're going there pretty darn fast.

Intermediate - Has figured out the basics of buoyancy control ... and breathing control. Can hover without kicking. Has made the mental transition from "vertical" land-based creature to "horizontal" sea-based creature ... and has adjusted their trim accordingly. Is starting to figure out how to find their way around underwater and get back to the entry/exit point with some consistency. Has watched their air consumption rate drop dramatically ... and is starting to figure out that there's way more to diving than their instructor ever told them.

Advanced - Can hover and change depths at will simply by altering their breathing pattern. Has mastered several different fin kicks and applies them according to conditions and situation. Can plan and execute dives in a range of different conditions. Has developed good underwater navigation skills. Understands and applies "situational awareness" at all times during a dive. Can make a mid-water ascent and hold a safety stop without having to hold onto anything.

Those will do for a start ... I'm sure others will add to them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
According to this I’m a solid Intermediate with a couple of the Advanced skills as well.:dazzler1: Not to toot my own horn or anything but... no way am I more than a brand shiny new diver in my esteemed opinion.
03.gif

radinator:
We all know that the only real way to tell the experience of a diver is by the number of d-rings and clips on the BC. And colors. He should have lots of d-rings and lots of colors.

Hmm. I knew about the D-rings, but I thought all the best divers wore basic black.:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom