How to categorize beginner, intermediate, advance diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover:
According to this I’m a solid Intermediate with a couple of the Advanced skills as well.:dazzler1: Not to toot my own horn or anything but... no way am I more than a brand shiny new diver in my esteemed opinion.
03.gif

Keep in mind here what is meant by buoyancy control. It doesn't just mean you can swim along happily without going up or down. It's more than that.

Here's a simple test - stop moving completely. No hand motions, no fin kicks. Stay stationary. And have your eyes closed for 20 seconds or so (so you don't subconsciously react).

If you are at the same depth (within 1-2 feet) when you open your eyes again, you're doing ok. If you're within inches, you're probably advanced. If you find yourself sitting back on the boat when your eyes open, you need work. :D

It's a lot easier to maintain your depth when moving. It's when you're not moving that the real skill shows.

And if you're curious, I'm still working on it myself.

Quero:
Hmm. I knew about the D-rings, but I thought all the best divers wore basic black.:crafty:

Well, we know that's how it REALLY is. I was making a joke. :crafty:
Only about the colors, though. Everything else is right on target.

Rick Inman:
Humm... Sounds like you're saying that you really don't know if someone is an advanced diver or not until things go sideways. Or at least until you have drilled with them under real conditions.
Not really. I'll dive with practically anyone, but I think that a rescue course is the only worthwhile course offered by the training agencies after Open Water. If I'm diving deeper than I can make an ESA I expect my buddy to be able to help me, just as I would them. I don't expect all divers to have rescue training, but it should be included if you are to be considered advanced.

Quero:
Hmm. I knew about the D-rings, but I thought all the best divers wore basic black.:crafty:

If a diver is diving with lots of colors, that means they've found lots of OTHER people's gear! :wave-smil

If they've found lots of other people's gear, then they are advanced -'cuz they can search and rescue.... (another PADI plug....shame on me, bad laurel....anybody wanna spank me ? *batting eyelashes*)

scubalaurel:
(another PADI plug....shame on me, bad laurel....anybody wanna spank me ? *batting eyelashes*)

Ohh....OOhhhh....ME....ME....Pick ME...... :wink:

scubalaurel:
shame on me, bad laurel....anybody wanna spank me ? *batting eyelashes*)
:wavey: Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

redrover:
According to this I’m a solid Intermediate with a couple of the Advanced skills as well.:dazzler1: Not to toot my own horn or anything but... no way am I more than a brand shiny new diver in my esteemed opinion.
03.gif

Truly? Come on up our way and try those skills in a drysuit ... in six feet of vis. You might find they aren't as solid as you thought they were.

All this stuff is very relative. At 600 or so dives I thought I was pretty squared away ... then I started diving with Uncle Pug and realized how far I had to go before I could consider myself a good diver.

Done another 600 or so since then ... and I still ain't there yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Truly? Come on up our way and try those skills in a drysuit ... in six feet of vis. You might find they aren't as solid as you thought they were.

Don't scare them!

NWGratefulDiver:
... then I started diving with Uncle Pug and realized how far I had to go before I could consider myself a good diver.

Done another 600 or so since then ... and I still ain't there yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, duh....it's Pug! Nobody will ever achieve his scubazendoom!

I don't remember who said it earlier, but it's so true, a good diver is always open to learning!

Having been diving since age 12 & am now 45, I think I might be able to add a bit to this disussion... As much as I hate to say it, various national organization's terminology for "beginner", "advanced", etc. don't seem to apply. Four dives make for a person with a certification who is just learning to dive. Four more dives, even with a class, do not make this person an "advanced" diver.

A number of the necessary skills were covered quite well already. I agree completely. Also, as has been mentioned, different environments (overhead, cold vs. warm, quarry vs. ocean) affect skill level. However, in my mind, there is one over-
riding factor: how natural one's responses are in an underwater condition.

There is no way for a beginning or intermediate diver to acquire the innate reactions of a long-time, well trained, conscientious diver.

How many dives? All I can tell you is that my son is not allowed to even think about leaving his snorkel behind until he has at least 50 dives under his belt, and will not be doing any overhead (non-vertical/non-recreational) diving until he has at least 100 dives, is "signed off" by divers I trust, or turns 18. I don't necessarily mean that my concept is law; it is just that as a parent, I am responsible for his safety- whether he dives with me or, when he is old enough, without me.

wedivebc:
Dang, I thought I was an advanced diver but I guess I don't qualify :wink:
I don't think they got it Dave... :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom