How to clean leaky power inflator w/o disassembling it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The correct tool, which I now have, makes it very easy but I have used needle nosed pliers in the past. These things tend to be an overlooked service item because they are very reliable but I now service mine yearly. You may stop it leaking by just soaking it but I would suggest doing the job right and replace or lubricate the o-rings.

Will really hot water (not quite boiling) damage these delicate rubber or plastic?

It shouldn't but it's the wrong way to approach servicing it either way. They really are VERY simple so just take it to a shop and they can do it while you wait. It's literally a 5 minute job like I said before.

BTW what kind of a BCD is it? Not all inflators are created equal. I know the Halcyon one had a recall some time back because they were rusting on the inside. On the other end of the spectrum, the Aqualung (Seaquest) inflator hardly ever gives trouble.

Having it open will also show you if there is something really *wrong* with it or if it's just dirty. Don't take short cuts servicing it yourself because it's really important that it works as intended, as your wife will tell you! (unless, of course, your wife isn't as important to you as the 10 bucks a shop will charge you to take it apart and clean it).

R..

Mselenaous had the same problem with her inflator. I just used bent needle nosed pliers to do the job. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. I cleaned the valve and all is good.

However, if you buy a new one: go for a Zeagle. It will fit most hoses, uses a standard automotive Schraeder valve for the inlet and makes it easy to connect a garden hose to your BC for flushing.

I bought a new inflator for my son's BC....and the LDS tech rebuilt the old one for $10.Pretty cheap for an insurance inflator.

I would just replace it with a new one, maybe get the old one rebuilt for a back up. I would never go on a trip with gear that was not in top shape. If you are spending money to go on a trip, why take a chance on a $30.00 piece of equipment failing screw up a $3000.00 trip, let alone the idea that you know there is a problem that could cause a life threatening injury and you continue to use it anyway. If you can afford to dive and go on trips, I am sure another $30 isn't going to kill you, not spending it just might.

Toothbrush, baking soda&water, then dip in vinegar. Repeat as necessary. Or just. Ya know replace for like $10

I would just replace it with a new one, maybe get the old one rebuilt for a back up. I would never go on a trip with gear that was not in top shape. If you are spending money to go on a trip, why take a chance on a $30.00 piece of equipment failing screw up a $3000.00 trip, let alone the idea that you know there is a problem that could cause a life threatening injury and you continue to use it anyway. If you can afford to dive and go on trips, I am sure another $30 isn't going to kill you, not spending it just might.

This is a pathetic way of thinking. If you aren't able to disconnect a "life threatening injury" inducing stuck inflator hose, or service it yourself................never mind.

---------- Post Merged at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:03 PM ----------

This is a pathetic way of thinking. If you aren't able to disconnect a "life threatening injury" inducing stuck inflator hose, or service it yourself................never mind.

---------- Post Merged at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:03 PM ----------

If you want to make a trip and spend the dollars to get there, then take a piece of equipment that you know is not 100% you can certainly do so. I couldn't care less if you want to do that. I on the other hand spend my hard earned money to go on a trip, my gear is checked, rechecked and if it isn't 100% it isn't going on the trip with me. If you want to solve your problems by disconnecting something that should work go ahead. If you feel like it is OK for your wife to take a broken POS valve on a dive because you are to tight to spend $30 for a new one....................Nevermind

...snip... the idea that you know there is a problem that could cause a life threatening injury

Many people aren't aware that a BCD inflator can vent as fast as it fills. They're designed like that. In the event of a vigorously free-flowing inflator just hold the outlet open and it can't cause an uncontrolled ascent. That will also give you the time needed to unclip the inflator hose.

In the vast majority of cases a leaking inflator causes just the sort of thing the OP described. A slow filling of the BCD that's more irritating that life-threatening.

R..

Back
Top Bottom