How to clean leaky power inflator w/o disassembling it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a picky point the LP pressure intends to force the valve open. That's why it leaks if it doesn't seal well.
I thought the side with higher pressure would be on the inside of the valve..so its high pressure won't push the valve open....then I realized that how presta valves work. Don't think a schradar valve's springs could be overcome by air pressure alone.

Does it really matter? If she's frustrated with this one or has simply lost confidence, just get her a new one.

Heaven forbid that your wife be comfortable and actually enjoy her new BC.
04.gif
Don't let the anti-jacket hype fool you. Lots of people prefer them and they aren't dangerous. Let her dive the way she wants to dive.

You're getting on the right track. She needs a BC that she has picked out and is comfortable in. .
LOL, one doesn't know the squeeze of the jacket until one is squeezed by it. Anyway, her back inflate only squeezes her because the top of the bladder blends into the jacket, so when the leaky PI fills up her BC that part straightens out and pull the shoulder strap back.

And I don't think I would let her wear a jacket type. I remember her female friend went into a local diveshop in NYC to look for a full set of gear, and maybe they want to push as expensive a set of gear as possible that fits a novice and they were going to sell her a scubapro classic. I was thinking, if she was to have a jacket BC, there are plenty of sub $200 ones that fits a neophyte's bill.

Just a picky point the LP pressure intends to force the valve open. That's why it leaks if it doesn't seal well.

The impression you have that it probably won't go beyond a slow leak is definitely the norm in these cases. However, it's not *impossible* for it to stick open, depending on what's wrong with it. That's why I keep telling you to get it serviced correctly instead of *f'n* around with it yourself by immersing it in ... whatever you think might work.

Replacing the BCD isn't necessary but if your wife wants to use this as a reason to buy a new one then go for the brownie points. I love buying new gear :D

R..

agree with it 100% ......you diy people without training are playing a dangerous game............what looks easy may not be ..that why we get factory trained . I did acourse a few years ago and there is step that if you didnt take the course you wont know it (i wont tell it here on the board) but it still goes together and will work for awhile ....................is your life worth 50 bucks at most .............then think of your families .............

agree with it 100% ......you diy people without training are playing a dangerous game............what looks easy may not be ..that why we get factory trained . I did acourse a few years ago and there is step that if you didnt take the course you wont know it (i wont tell it here on the board) but it still goes together and will work for awhile ....................is your life worth 50 bucks at most .............then think of your families .............

So your solution is to just blindly trust the local scuba tech who may or may not have gone through the ONE DAY, NO FAIL training course.

My comfort and satisfaction are worth much more than $50 which is why I don't let some unknown yokel mess with my scuba gear.

I don't believe you about some secret essential step that was only presented during the training course and you won't tell anyone. Typical BS to coerce divers into unnecessary service. But I may just be missing all the failures that are occurring since some folks don't know that secret step.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I bought a rebuilt engine once from a guy who's tool kit only had in it a can of Marvel Mystery Oil and some spray paint.

Hey, I think I know that guy.

But I may just be missing all the failures that are occurring since some folks don't know that secret step.
It's just so obvious: hold your tongue to the left. No, just a bit more. YEAH! That's it! :D

Hey, I think I know that guy.
It's amazing, but the boat I was given has a "professionally rebuilt engine" in it. I keep chasing after this professional's incompetence. I had to recreate a bracket to hold the water pump since the pulleys were an inch off of plane, and I just pulled the engine to torque down the flywheel bolts which were all loose enough to be turned with my fingers. The guy two doors down works as an engine tech for a local marina and saw me with a come along. He was giving me hassles about how I was pulling it (no hoist), but then he had never seen a flywheel turner. That allowed me to keep the engine from turning as I applied 65 ft/lbs of torque with my Snap On Torque Wrench. He just uses an impact gun. Yeah, that's the way to do it: NOT!

Most shops don't have the tools I have to service regulators.

It's amazing, but the boat I was given has a "professionally rebuilt engine" in it. I keep chasing after this professional's incompetence. I had to recreate a bracket to hold the water pump since the pulleys were an inch off of plane, and I just pulled the engine to torque down the flywheel bolts which were all loose enough to be turned with my fingers. The guy two doors down works as an engine tech for a local marina and saw me with a come along. He was giving me hassles about how I was pulling it (no hoist), but then he had never seen a flywheel turner. That allowed me to keep the engine from turning as I applied 65 ft/lbs of torque with my Snap On Torque Wrench. He just uses an impact gun. Yeah, that's the way to do it: NOT!

Most shops don't have the tools I have to service regulators.

you mean marvel mystery oil didn't fix it?

So your solution is to just blindly trust the local scuba tech who may or may not have gone through the ONE DAY, NO FAIL training course.

My comfort and satisfaction are worth much more than $50 which is why I don't let some unknown yokel mess with my scuba gear.

I don't believe you about some secret essential step that was only presented during the training course and you won't tell anyone. Typical BS to coerce divers into unnecessary service. But I may just be missing all the failures that are occurring since some folks don't know that secret step.

if you know the tech you might , just might be able to think he knows his stuff ....blindly go ,i didnt say anything like that . If the guy has been rebuilding regs for 30 years , he might just know more than you . 1 course DOESNT make you a tech ......just like one weekend of training doesnt make you special forces ......use some common sese bud

---------- Post Merged at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:15 PM ----------

sense...............sorry typed too fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom