How to clean leaky power inflator w/o disassembling it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many people aren't aware that a BCD inflator can vent as fast as it fills. They're designed like that. In the event of a vigorously free-flowing inflator just hold the outlet open and it can't cause an uncontrolled ascent. That will also give you the time needed to unclip the inflator hose.

In the vast majority of cases a leaking inflator causes just the sort of thing the OP described. A slow filling of the BCD that's more irritating that life-threatening.

R..

Would you go on a trip knowing the inflator was leaking? I wouldn't, if I am spending $2000 or $3000 to travel, taking a week or more vacation I will have it fixed or replaced prior to leaving. It might be a minor inconvenience but it could easily turn into more. If I have a tire that is leaking slowly, I take it in and get it fixed before it becomes more than a minor inconvenience. YMMV

It shouldn't but it's the wrong way to approach servicing it either way. They really are VERY simple so just take it to a shop and they can do it while you wait. It's literally a 5 minute job like I said before.

BTW what kind of a BCD is it? Not all inflators are created equal. I know the Halcyon one had a recall some time back because they were rusting on the inside. On the other end of the spectrum, the Aqualung (Seaquest) inflator hardly ever gives trouble.

Having it open will also show you if there is something really *wrong* with it or if it's just dirty. Don't take short cuts servicing it yourself because it's really important that it works as intended, as your wife will tell you! (unless, of course, your wife isn't as important to you as the 10 bucks a shop will charge you to take it apart and clean it).

R..

it is a old Sherwood freedom..I thought there were some recall related to that, but it was for the dump valve.

Toothbrush, baking soda&water, then dip in vinegar. Repeat as necessary. Or just. Ya know replace for like $10

That's if I can open it up. Otherwise, it is just soaking the whole power inflator in some solution, and hope the minute amount of that solution that floats and lingers inside the valve is enough to free it.

Its not that I don't want to spend the $30-$50. I thought maybe it would just be better off to get her a new BC instead.

Maybe I can bring it to the shop the next time I pass by...but then I don't want a $50 bill.

Would you go on a trip knowing the inflator was leaking? I wouldn't, if I am spending $2000 or $3000 to travel, taking a week or more vacation I will have it fixed or replaced prior to leaving. It might be a minor inconvenience but it could easily turn into more. If I have a tire that is leaking slowly, I take it in and get it fixed before it becomes more than a minor inconvenience. YMMV

You're confusing two things. Obviously, I would have it fixed before I left. We agree about that.

What I was responding to was the suggestion that a leaking inflator was somehow "life threatening", which it isn't. That's not to say you shouldn't do anything about it.

R..

I thought maybe it would just be better off to get her a new BC instead.
Ask her. This might be your best bet and could score you serious brownie points. You can always start another thread about what to get here on ScubaBoard, or read the hundreds that already exist. :D

I would swap the whole inflator - depends on how much you value your time. Changing inflator takes one minute - snap plastic tie, take out old inflator, insert new inflator, secure new tie.
Done.
As far as life threatening - any and all minor issues during a dive can become life-threatening if compounded. Dealing with a stuck inflator alone should be no biggie, but compound that with a leaking mask, buddy separation, and surface boat traffic, and your risks increase significantly. So the best approach is be confident in your skills by staying current, be confident in your buddy, be confident in your gear by regular maintenance and checks. I would have checked that inflator the moment I heard the first complaint. Something wrong with gear, no matter how minor - skip the dive!

If you feel like it is OK for your wife to take a broken POS valve on a dive because you are to tight to spend $30 for a new one....................Nevermind

Why can't I just get a whole new wife and keep the old one for a back-up?

Why can't I just get a whole new wife and keep the old one for a back-up?

The cost for that might be prohibitive. Not to mention repairing the old one usually isn't possible and maintaining 2 is generally something most would avoid.

Ask her. This might be your best bet and could score you serious brownie points. You can always start another thread about what to get here on ScubaBoard, or read the hundreds that already exist. :D
She's the one that wanted a new one in the first place, saying this one is making her go up all the time. It turns out to be have nothing to do with the BC. Anyway, I don't mind getting her a BC, but if I take her to the shop, she might go for comfort or convenience and end up picking a jacket inflate type. If I buy it for her on my own, she might not like certain feature. She complains about putting the weight pockets and BC squeeze by the rear bladder in the current BC. Getting men's BC is dicey cuz of the fit has to be quite specific that it also fits a woman.

As for being dangerous, its a small leak. I don't think the air would ever fill the bladder uncontrollably. The sprint on the power inflator button forces the valve closed, as does the pressure from the LP hose. It is just when it is fully closed, there is an inability for it to form a tight seal.

The sprint on the power inflator button forces the valve closed, as does the pressure from the LP hose.

Just a picky point the LP pressure intends to force the valve open. That's why it leaks if it doesn't seal well.

The impression you have that it probably won't go beyond a slow leak is definitely the norm in these cases. However, it's not *impossible* for it to stick open, depending on what's wrong with it. That's why I keep telling you to get it serviced correctly instead of *f'n* around with it yourself by immersing it in ... whatever you think might work.

Replacing the BCD isn't necessary but if your wife wants to use this as a reason to buy a new one then go for the brownie points. I love buying new gear :D

R..

She's the one that wanted a new one in the first place, saying this one is making her go up all the time. It turns out to be have nothing to do with the BC.
Does it really matter? If she's frustrated with this one or has simply lost confidence, just get her a new one.

Anyway, I don't mind getting her a BC, but if I take her to the shop, she might go for comfort or convenience and end up picking a jacket inflate type.
Heaven forbid that your wife be comfortable and actually enjoy her new BC. :D Don't let the anti-jacket hype fool you. Lots of people prefer them and they aren't dangerous. Let her dive the way she wants to dive.

If I buy it for her on my own, she might not like certain feature. She complains about putting the weight pockets and BC squeeze by the rear bladder in the current BC. Getting men's BC is dicey cuz of the fit has to be quite specific that it also fits a woman.
You're getting on the right track. She needs a BC that she has picked out and is comfortable in.

As for being dangerous, its a small leak. I don't think the air would ever fill the bladder uncontrollably. The sprint on the power inflator button forces the valve closed, as does the pressure from the LP hose. It is just when it is fully closed, there is an inability for it to form a tight seal.
If it's not a problem for you, then just switch PIs. Give her yours and you take hers. Make your buddy/wife comfortable and make sure she has gear that is fully operational. However, if you would be unwilling to dive it, then don't expect her to dive it.

Back
Top Bottom