How to find a baby sitter in Isla Mujeras (while I'm diving)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

polyester1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry, slightly off topic, but this DOES relate to diving!

So we're coming to Isla Mujeras (tiny island near Cancun) in December. It'll be my wife, two small girls, and me. While I'm diving, I'd like to get someone to help my wife with the kids. Just help, they don't have to watch them all by themselves.

Does anyone know of a good way to find baby sitters on Isla? I can't seem to find any websites. I do see some people in Cancun, not sure if it's worth it to ferry over to Isla for a 4-hour job, maybe it is, but it'd be nice to find someone nearby.

Have you asked your hotel? I'd guess they deal with such requests frequently.

Be very, I mean VERY, cautious with this. Make sure and vet your resource very well and get references. Don't go with any provider you find in an add without doing backgrounds on them. Cancun is an active spot for DTO's. And kidnapping for ransom, or worse if you have girls, is a real possibility. So just make sure you do your homework on any prospective help. As DD said, check with your hotel or resort staff also. I just want you to be "eyes wide open" on this issue and be informed. I used to work criminal intel so I have specific knowledge on things in Mexico. B.

I emailed the hotel, but haven't heard back. I'll call them. And thanks for the warning linden. I think I'll only consider someone that works for the hotel and not some random person from a babysitting website. Or maybe I'll only do 1-2 dives and my wife will have to watch by herself than to risk something like that. Thanks again.

I wonder if your dive op would be able to make a suggestion of a reputable babysitter. I would bet they've had divers in this situation before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom