How to find a good dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelad

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all! My girlfriend and I just spent 8 days in FL - 4 in Key West getting our OW certifications. I have no idea how you seasoned pros have any money left - I'm commited to taking up a second job to finance this new addiction. It was probably one of the coolest things we've ever done! Considering how much we love to travel, it's really opened up thousands of new travel destinations to us.

But I digress ...

The shop we dove with in KW is absolutely top-notch. Trouble is, now we're back home in Providence, Rhode Island and I'm wondering where/how to find a good local dive shop. I don't have any "dive buddies" per se and I've spent a few hours Googling for shop reviews with no luck. Anyone have any recommendations on shops in the RI and southeastern MA area?

Thanks in advance!

Well I think posting here on SB is a great start, plenty of divers in your area post here.
Welcome to ScubaBoard and diving.

orangelad:
The shop we dove with in KW is absolutely top-notch. Trouble is, now we're back home in Providence, Rhode Island and I'm wondering where/how to find a good local dive shop. I don't have any "dive buddies" per se and I've spent a few hours Googling for shop reviews with no luck. Anyone have any recommendations on shops in the RI and southeastern MA area?

Thanks in advance!

There is a forum area here on scubaboard for your area. You might try asking there.

Also, once you have found the shops in your area so in an talk to them. Ask them about trainning (AOW then Recue are what you will be needing) and be sure to talk ask about a dive club. Most every dive shop sponsers a dive club. Many are simply a way for them to market gear, travel and training but they serve a need for the divers too. Also even if you own geat ask about (say) a regulator and see how helpfull they are or if they turn on a hard core sales pitch.

Go to some of the dive club meetings and get to now the others. Set up some local dives if you can. Expect to have to work at this for two or three months but after a while you will know quite a fewother local divers.

Do your trainning through the local shop in local water. the AOW class is a good place to learn about local diving (as you will do 5 dives) and meet other students. Same for rescue class.

The big thing is to keep diving. You will bump into other divers in the dive clubs, at the dive sites, while hanging out at the shop and in classes. Eventually you becoe part of the local social network.

I'd just drop in and talk to the staff at the local shops. You can get a lot by just talking to people. Get a feel for how they do business. Talk to some instructors. When I was looking to do my divemaster training I visited every shop in town until I found one that I liked. Talking to other divers is another good suggestion. Word of mouth is critical to dive shops. If they are keeping their customers happy chances are good that they are a good dive shop.

orangelad:
First, I'd like to say that I know I'm about to stir up a hornet's nest, but will do it anyway. :cool:

Call all the shops in the area and tell them you're thinking about learning how to SCUBA dive and ask them how long it takes. I know you're already certified, but it's a test of the shop's attitude.
  • If they say 3 days/classes (or less), run away. They're just in it for the money.
  • If they say 6 classes, it's probably OK.
  • If they say "as long as it takes for you to feel comfortable", you've found a winner!
A good shop wants you to be as comfortable in the water as you can, so you have a good time and continue to dive forever.

A bad shop wants as many people as possible to hand over $350 for the OW class and doesn't care if you come back or not.

As far as "how to pay for diving" goes, it's a question of how you spend your money. I pay for SCUBA by never paying interest, late fees, finance charges or bank fees on anything. If I can't afford it now, I don't buy it now.

Oddly enough, this means I can afford a lot more stuff, since it's about a 20% increase in take-home pay, which finances my diving nicely! :cool:

Terry

Thanks a ton for all your recommendations - this gives me a great place to start!

Just start visiting all the dive shops in your area and check their inventory. Also see about course, servicing and any trips they run. A good dive shop will actively get involved with the local dive community with local diving and courses. Just talk to the people there and see if you get a good feeling from them.

If you post this question in the New England forum, you will probably get more replies.

and if you ever want to dive on cape cod let me know.

orangelad:
Hey all! My girlfriend and I just spent 8 days in FL - 4 in Key West getting our OW certifications. I have no idea how you seasoned pros have any money left - I'm commited to taking up a second job to finance this new addiction. It was probably one of the coolest things we've ever done! Considering how much we love to travel, it's really opened up thousands of new travel destinations to us.

But I digress ...

Thanks in advance!

As far as finding a shop, stop in at a few that are within reach of where you live. Just BS with them, get a feel for the shop and people who man it. Are they sales people or divers who work in a shop.

As for diving opening up new travel destinations, you live in RI (not far from where I am) YOu have some of the best diving in the world at your finger tips.

DIVING IS NOT JUST FOR VACATIONS!!!!

As for paying for it, I worked a "real" job for 30 years and was able to retire, now I work PT in a dive shop. It works like this.
Friday I get paid, and Saturday I pay the dive boat captain.

BTW: RI also has some good shore diving spots from what I am told.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom