How to go pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Devon,

Regarding the part where you said "genuinely interested". I would be more then happy to go over that with you sometime. As far as the comment about NAUI being the oldest, It was originally called The National Diving Patrol, changed names in 1959. Maybe I should have stated based in the USA... Do a little history research on NAUI sometime. NAUI played its part in, why you have the job you do today. The only good thing I can say about PADI is they are great at marketing... They are the biggest, that's all... I really have no knowledge of SSI. I'll make sure to come by next time I'm in the philippines, we can compare notes lol...

Devon, I love the link you provided. It makes a great point!

"Some other organizations are not a part of WRSTC and their courses are more demanding, longer and they expect more from their members, making the quality of training better."

That was from the first link u provided. Would u be so kind to list those with whom it describes as being better quality?

I'll give you a hint it's not PADI or SSI.

As I said, I mentioned that caveat that those links weren't necessarily unbiased. LOL

WRSTC maintains minimum standards for courses. WRSTC member agencies replicate those minimum standards.

I agree that there are instructors/operations that only work to the minimum standards. That said, there are others who work to much higher standards. It's a fair point however, to note the minimum standards.

That said, as previously stated, PADI, SSI et al do run a modular course structure. That's an important consideration when bearing in mind if you are genuinely comparing like-for-like in agency course comparison. From a purely academic/debate perspective, there's a lot of variance in course provision between agencies, which can skew perceived quality and value.

How much $ cost VS how many training hours VS stated target on training completion VS limits applied to that target state.

I could design a $5000, 50 dive 'Open Water' course. What would I compare it against?
Another Open Water course (comparison in name only)?
Another Course/s that totally 50 dives?
$5000 worth of training from another agency?
Stated/desired end product of diver skill and capability level?

I really don't know much about NAUI... I've primarily worked and dived in Europe, Middle-East/Africa and SE Asia... and NAUI isn't well represented here. I'd certainly be interested to hear more about them... but less boastful, more technical/relevant instructor-level details would be appreciated.

RSTC is not a regulatory agency. It just sounds offical to legitimize training.

Any agency will allow a crossover. However, depending on the quality of training there may be a lot more to learn. When I crossed over to PADI, my biggest struggle was learning the new jargon, but I easily got 5's on my presentations because I had been taught well.

Agency affiliation does matter - it can help or handicap an instructor, but you need to have a goal in mind. If you will be somebody's else's employee, it could make sense to have the same affiliation unless they are looking to diversify. I see NAUI and PADI members at SSI stores and vice versa all the time even though it's not supposed to happen.

Working for resorts, liveaboards and land operations, I never had a hard time finding work as a NAUI member. I did find I was more marketable as a multi agency instructor and I worked for an operation in the South Pacific that required me to get my CMAS ** instructor. Look for a wonderful instructor and great initial training and you can always crossover to any agency an employer demands.

Rarely a student requests a certain agency and if they do, it's easy once you know to explain the differences.

NAUI is not a modular program, so there is no one syllabus. Send me a message if you want the minimum standards. Instructors are encouraged to exceed the standards or regionalize the program to include other necessary training. Some differences include full rescue taught at entry level and during every course, more skin diving, more diving science, an actual master diver course that includes all 'instructor' level academics, more teaching/learning theory for instructors.

The problem with a modular program, is that you can't get outside of it without increasing the instructor's individual liability.
NAUI Instructors register their own students

NAUI's in South Pacific and Africa/Middle East and SE Asia in Kuwait, South Africa, Mercosul, Europe - Netherlands, Belgium, Italy, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Japan....There's a good spread

Last edited:
When I took up this sport (or is it passion) to be considered a qualified diver, the CMAS 3* equivalence was required.

Is that true today?

As an aside the Scottish Sub-Aqua Club (SS-AC) was founded in 1955, a year before BSAC.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom