How to make an equipment line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our gear line is climbing grade line with loops/SS links every several feet or so...probably drops to 50' and has a sizable lead shot at the bottom. Bottles are generally just snapped onto a loop, while high-value gear like DPVs are secured with multiple hardpoints (SS links or locking carabiners).

Oftentimes it'll serve as a deco line as well, and to that end one difference from most of what I've seen described above is the use of some very heavy-duty shock cord taking up a few feet of slack between the water and the attachment point on the boat. Translation of the boat's movement to the gearline is dampened by the shock cord.

I always referred to the granny line as the one that ran from bow to stern so that you could pull yourself along in current to the mooring or anchor line. And the one you hung onto in current to get back to the tag line! Unless it wrapped itself into the prop because the current was so strong on the surface. Happened to me on a dive on the Duane. Cap borrowed my gear to jump in and free it after I told him what happened.

The one from the stern where you jump in to the bow where the anchor line is? That's the Carolina line. Damned if I know where that term came from either.

Back
Top Bottom