How to mount canister on backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy, I use the waist belt that is part of the harness. I do not have a d-ring on the right side. (not DIR:wink: ) I use another SS buckle like the waist strap buckle to hold the light in place that way if I have to remove the light, I can. If you have the right d-ring on you will not be able to ditch the light. (I'm not saying don't do it, just that it removes that option.) Honestly I don't see how you could attach the light to the back plate, that would keep it from flopping around and be able to be ditch-able.

Question is, what are you using the right d-ring for, and is it necessary?

I won't tell you how you mount your light is going to depend on life or death, I'm not that kind of DIR diver. I will let you know why and how we do things, if you ask. What you choose to do with it---that's your call.:coffee:

If you really need the right side D-ring........Green Manelishi sells a buckle that has a D-ring on it. It can be used as a buckle, or just to clamp your light in place. Joel also sells them.

Here's a picture of where I would prefer to mount it. It seems out of the way and I think straps or elastic could be used to keep it back there. What problems do you see with it being put in this location?

You'll have to move it if you dive doubles. Are you concerned about it being ditch-able? (Expensive option, I know). Possibility of the cord rubbing the edge of the back plate and getting a hole. Worst case--If worn to bare wire and salt water is conductive may send the battery in to thermal run away. Batteries get real hot in that condition and may damage the wing. Best case-- the light cord leaks and floods the light head because of capillary effect. That's about all I can see at the moment.

I would put it more to the side, and not directly between the plate and wing. Trouble could occur like onfloat stated. (onfloat: thanks for the welcome back. Ive been here, but just lurking mostly lately. Im glad I found a thread that I could get fired up about!)
Another note: I wouldnt want to have that canister on my waist due to the length of it. Its similar to the OMS phantom, and some Sartek canisters that are longer. As always, YMMV. There are people that dive large canisters on their waist. Ive found it be very uncomfortable and it gets in the way for me.

LUBOLD8431:
Another note: I wouldnt want to have that canister on my waist due to the length of it. Its similar to the OMS phantom, and some Sartek canisters that are longer. As always, YMMV. There are people that dive large canisters on their waist. Ive found it be very uncomfortable and it gets in the way for me.

If i was diving with a canister of that length, it would HAVE to be on the tank or the plate somehow. No WAY I'd put that on my waiststrap. For me, the length of the canister is the issue, not the diameter. Some of the old canisters were quite large, but only about 15" top to bottom. I had an old AUL in my hands at the shop today. Thing must have been 10-15 pounds!

I've had my canister in the same place. When I dove singles it wasn't an issue but with my doubles I find it very uncomoftable. Felt restrictive on my breathing as well...

IMO As for having your canister as ditachable weight... Meh. If you just need to drop 2lbs to help get to the surface then something is strange...

onfloat:
You'll have to move it if you dive doubles. Are you concerned about it being ditch-able? (Expensive option, I know). Possibility of the cord rubbing the edge of the back plate and getting a hole. Worst case--If worn to bare wire and salt water is conductive may send the battery in to thermal run away. Batteries get real hot in that condition and may damage the wing. Best case-- the light cord leaks and floods the light head because of capillary effect. That's about all I can see at the moment.

I'd thought about the issue arising if I switched to doubles, but i don't have any plans on doing that for now. If I start diving doubles I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm not concerned about it being ditchable. I can easily swim everything to the surface with my wing fully deflated at the tank completely full. I was also thinking I could save that space for weight pockets. I had a bad experience once with my ditchable weight accidentally getting ditched. That combined with the lack of posts where people have had to ditch weight has convinced me that having easily ditchable weight can be more of a danger than having no ditchable weight (but I'm sure that's another fiery debate entirely).

The light cord rubbing is a definite concern. I'll take a look at everything when it's all assembled and ensure there's no likelihood of that happening.

Back
Top Bottom