how to pressure group / deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your question, I was taught to put "computer dive" in my log book if the dive went off the tables but was still deemed safe according to the computer. You could also probably use the wheel, but I'm not sure how to do that or what info you would need, so I can't help you there.

If I'm understanding you correctly, though, I am concerned that you were doing an advanced class, relying on a computer for your depth/time planning, and the only person who had a computer was the instructor. Now, I know nothing about what the standards dictate, but I would think that, especially as this was an advanced class, depth and time should have been covered in the planning of the dive, so this souldn't be a concern now. I know when I took my AOW, we were all using computers, and the fact that we were off the tables was discussed both before (when planning the dive, as a possibility given our plan) and after the dive, when we were filling out our log books. We also discused situations such as "if we were planning a week of diving and the computer were to fail after doing this dive, what would our options be?" My understanding was that this more advanced thinking on dive planning was what gave the substance to the advanced class, not just the dives.

Moreso, I know I was taught that, if using computers, everyone should have their own computer and rely only on the readings on the computer that is attached to your body (ie - not your buddy's / dm's) to determine the safety of your dive if not using tables (because you might have been slightly below your instructor throughout the entire dive, or ascended at a slightly faster rate, you could then theoretically be diving an unsafe profile, even though the instructor you were with and who had the computer was within the limits). Obviously, it's now well after the dive and you're doing fine, so you don't need to worry about being bent, but I question the safety of that instructor you were with.

Maybe I misunderstood and you all had computers, in which case ignore the above rant and just put "computer dive" in the log book.

Well reefs end is great. Actually we went the deepest at that spot as once you go over the edge it drops down past 300 feet.

I suggest the back wall. Right now the cathedrals on Lanai might be too cloudy to be real good but you can still check with a dive shop about that.

Where was your second dive? The shop I like B&B usually do a backwall and then a dive closer to shore such as red hill or the wreck. Another good closer to shore dive is Martys reef. Oh heck, they're all pretty good.

We did 7 backwall dives and none were the same. Different spots to drop in, different depths, it just keeps changing. The reef on the left end called shark condos is pretty cool too.

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
On a set of PADI dive tables lying on my desk, a dive to 110' for 30 minutes puts you in the J group with 7 minutes deco due at a 10' stop.

Which PADI tables are you using that has deco schedules on them?

adjuster-jd once bubbled...
Since this was a training dive, I was with an instructor who was using a computer. Perhaps the solution is using a wheel, which I don't have or know how to use....

I don't know what your certification agency is but if it's PADI, aren't you supposed to learn how to use the Wheel as required learning to pass the AOW? Isn't this the course you were taking?

Adjuster-jd,
Hope all is going well. You're not being very self-sufficient but having a great time. Living on the edge.
Make sure you have DAN insurance so if anything unfortunate happens you are covered.
I'm sure that your instructor will make sure that you have the necessary info for your log when he signs it off for your deep dive. Hope you get that AOW Card soon.
Good Luck and Dive Safe.
Larry

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I don't know what your certification agency is but if it's PADI, aren't you supposed to learn how to use the Wheel as required learning to pass the AOW? Isn't this the course you were taking?

I did it with PADI and did it with a computer. Only wheel around was on the rental car :wink:

1. The Wheel is not required for the PADI AOW course. It is used for the Multilevel & Computer Diving Speciality course, and is mandatory during the Divemaster course. It can be used in the PADI Open Water Diver course.

2. Regarding the mandatory deep dive for the PADI AOW course: The maximum depth is 30 metres/100 feet and for Junior Divers (12-14 years old) the maximum depth is 21 metres/70 feet. A dive to 110ft in this course is a standards violation.

3. The slightly more vintage PADI tables did have deco schedules. The same is not true for the current version, the PADI RDP. A training dive which intentionally incurrs a deco obligation is a standards violation (excepting, of course, the Tec/Rec courses). If you did not have your own computer which did not incurr a deco obligation, then this was a violation of training standards.

Can anyone tell me of a training agency that advocates a group diving on an instructors computer instead of their own (especially on deep dives)? I would like to stay away from that agency if it exists. I highly doubt that the aspect of the group relying on the instructors d.c. would be within safety/ training standards for any organization. But, then again, I had never heard a wheel for multi-level diving prior to watching this board and I was/am AOW certified and well into dive professional qualifactions for the agency that I trained with.

I know that I calculate pressure groups off my final computer numbers if I can when I am done with the dive. If it is multilevel (which covers nearly all deep diving that I do as I like to have a "cushion" to start off-gassing early rather than come straight up), forget it. In any case, I would write dive computer in the logbook and note it.

I couldn't believe that this dive would count as a deep dive for the AOW because, obviously, it wasn't planned by the student in question so I went into my PADI logbook and looked at the dive skills for the Deep Adventure Dive and Guess What!!!! Planning the dive is not required.

Discuss.

Rachel

You should log it as you did it and send a copy of the log page to PADI with the instructors name and member number. This is another of those POS bumbs that should be drummed out of diving all together IMO.

They teach follow the leader at 110 and call it diving. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom