How to qualify as a Tech diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm going to break with the convention of the board and rather than debating semantics or berating your attitude, I'm going to actually answer your question! :wow_2:

Around here (UK), TDI is the most common 'tech' training agency. Some instructors teach a combined TDI/IANTD course, with all the cards to match.

The path you want to follow with TDI is: (max depth) - min dives
basic nitrox (130fsw) - 4 dives (OW)
advanced nitrox (140fsw) - 25 dives
decompression procedures (150fsw) - 25 dives
extended range (165fsw) - 100 dives
intro trimix (200fsw) - 100 dives
advanced trimix (300fsw?) - 150 dives(?)

extended range (deep air) is optional in the path and is actually not recommended by alot of people I speak to (in shops & on the 'net).
You can also take advanced nitrox and decompression procedures as a single combined class.

Technical diving differs from recreational diving in that recreational diving allows a direct ascent to the surface.

Loosely speaking, you may go to the surface at any time during a recreational dive.

Technical diving is diving when there is a "ceiling" that stops you from making a direct surface ascent. That ceiling may be rock (cave), steel (wreck) or a deco obligation.

Technical diving differs because it requires gear and procedures that recognize the inability to go directly to the surface.

Let's accept your definition for the sake of argument.

It's still an unnecessary and useless term. A Cave Diving certification is useful and actually qualifies one to do something they would not otherwise be qualified to do. Does calling someone a "technical" diver in addition to being a cave diver accomplish anything? It does not. The same goes for any other type of diving you toss into the "technical" group. There's no reason to call a diver a "technical" diver when referring to them as a trimix diver or a cave diver or a deco diver or a wreck diver would be a better description.

RichLockyer:
That alone would disqualify you from most classes.
As taught by PADI, the object of going deep should never be the depth itself. The depth is a requirement to reach a particular objective of the dive... to dive on a particular wreck, to explore a new lead in a cave, etc...
Depth alone is not an acceptable dive objective, and any kind of obsession with any aspect of diving (other than doing it as safely as possible) is a flat disqualification.

It's important to plan depths for a specific reason. Descending to have a number on your computer is not considered a good plan. Have a specific objective in mind and plan for that.

I have never seen a technical course description with prerequisites that are stringent enough in my opinion. Let's hope the instructors are screening people out carefully.

By the way this is not a knock just an observation about any technical courses I have seen. Some people are extremely comfortable at X number of dives and some people are not even close to the skill and comfort level necessary to learn new "tech" techniques.

--Matt

Walter:
Let's accept your definition for the sake of argument.

It's still an unnecessary and useless term. A Cave Diving certification is useful and actually qualifies one to do something they would not otherwise be qualified to do. Does calling someone a "technical" diver in addition to being a cave diver accomplish anything? It does not. The same goes for any other type of diving you toss into the "technical" group. There's no reason to call a diver a "technical" diver when referring to them as a trimix diver or a cave diver or a deco diver or a wreck diver would be a better description.

Technical \ tek-ni-kel \ ; having special and unusual practical knowledge esp. of a mechanical or scientific subject. The definition seems to fit . By adding the word diver to the end, you complete the whole statement.

novadiver:
Technical \ tek-ni-kel \ ; having special and unusual practical knowledge esp. of a mechanical or scientific subject. The definition seems to fit . By adding the word diver to the end, you complete the whole statement.

WOW! That's a whole lot from everyone. I am glad I at least have a better
understanding...I think :06: I originally thought that tech diving was the same as
commercial diving, as in you're doing TECHNICAL diving with equipment or to
accomplish a goal, ie. hull treatment/cleaning, inspection, welding, etc. I guess
that's entirely different, eh?

I have to agree that technical is really going to mean different things to different
people. :toilet This is the first time I ever heard it used specifically to define cave or
wreck diving. I was always told those were just specialty classes in whatever
certification agency. I did understand tech diving to include gases, deco, & depth
beyond rec diving.

It's nice to have a board to discuss all this. I just wish I could understand the
DIR thingy and what's different btwn that and taking TEK diving classes. :hmmm:

Just my $00.02 + a bit fuzz I found in my pocket.

tazfrau:
I just wish I could understand the
DIR thingy and what's different btwn that and taking TEK diving classes.
Go check out the DIR forum. We don't bite... honest!

DIR is not exclusive to tech. DIR can be used in any (non commercial/military) situation.

Tech Diving or Tech Diver two different things, Cave divers are tech divers, wreck divers are tech divers, ICe divers are Tech Divers, Nitrox divers are tech divers, trimix divers are tech divers, deep divers (>130 ft) are tech divers, rebreathers are tech divers - do you see a recurring theme. "Tech Diver" is a very General term. I will say that I do "tech diving" but that is because I do Cave, wrecks, Ice, Nitrox, Adv Nitrox, Extended Range, Deco, Trimix, Technical Cave, Recovery, Low vis, etc. If you want to CLASSIFY TECH DIVING you could consider it to be any form of diving outside of the normal limitations of recreatational diving. That is diving within 130 ft from the surface breathing air from a S.C.U.B.A., staying within NDL and having the ability to make a direct ascent to the surface. Tech Diver is a relative and general term

Dayang:
Wow thanks for the input.

To be specific I really love caves and would like to go as deep as possible. ( just an obession with depth) Because I am with padi all along I know their "path" well. OW to AOW to rescue...etc but for my next level of training i would like to try some other school and am quite confuse with which one to go to. For rec training the obvious choice here is Padi. (since there is not much other choice here in Singapore) . For Tech it is another story.

So my next step should be nitrox followed by advance nitrox?
As you live in Singapore I have one possible suggestion. In Tioman Island there is an IANTD instructor who can give the IANTD EANx Overhead Environment course (among others!). His name is J.C.Chappuis and he operates out of B&J Diving Center. He is a very good instructor so I'd suggest contacting him and having a talk about it all.
Tioman is only 3 hours away from Singapore by hydrofoil so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you to go there. You are a little late for this season (although October is still reasonable) so I'd suggest going and having a few dives with them and a talk to JC. One word of warning - he's a fairly tough instructor with very high standards - he'll only accept you if he thinks that you have a good chance to succeed - and he'll only give you the cert if he thinks you've earned it.
I did this course with him - it took 5 days.

p.s. Their main shop is on Salang beach - although they also have a smaller one on ABC. Do a Google search for B&J Diving and you'll find their website.

Dayang:
Wow thanks for the input.

To be specific I really love caves and would like to go as deep as possible. ( just an obession with depth) Because I am with padi all along I know their "path" well. OW to AOW to rescue...etc but for my next level of training i would like to try some other school and am quite confuse with which one to go to. For rec training the obvious choice here is Padi. (since there is not much other choice here in Singapore) . For Tech it is another story.

So my next step should be nitrox followed by advance nitrox?

Since your in Singapore, speak to our local GUE instructor, Gideon Liew.

I did my DIRF and Tech 1 with him, and he's an excellent instructor

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom