How to renew?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've had my USCG 100 Ton near coastal for many years (8 1/2). I now live out of the country and own my own shop and dive boats. I've never had to "self-certify" my sea time before because I always worked for someone else. My license is going to expire in about 18 months, so I need to find out what I need to do to document sea time. I have my STCW 95 endorsement and my Merchant mariner's document, but I heard there is an additional endorsement necessary (starting in the near future). What do I have to do to renew? Thanks!

Hey Cappy,

Well you'll need to fill out some paperwork to show your sea time. If you own the boat then you'll have to show where you had insurance on the boats, as well as, the documentation for those times. I know as I just had to do this.

Also you can go to this link for the USCG and get all the paperwork and renewal guide. Hope this helps.

Good Diving,

Just download the application and sea service forms. Photocopy your Vessels Documentation papers and send it all to the USCG.

You will need to actually go to the USCG MSO office to be fingerprinted. Bring your passport and current Merchant Marine Documents with you.

Hey Cappy,
One thing that you will need to renew is a TWIC card. Short for Transportation workers identification card. I didnt think that a private or non company owned captain would have to have one but I contacted the Coast Guard help desk at IASKNMC@uscg.mil and they informed me that everyone holding a MM document had to have one to renew. You can find out more info on this at WWW.twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov. It quite a pain to get and it costs $132.00. Hope this helps you CJ.

I have a little over a year to go on my current license and my memory of the specifics is a little hazy, but the procedure is quite straight forward. Just download the forms and follow the directions. If you screw it up the CG will send you a letter back asking for whatever you did not include in your application. They are actually very helpful.

Hey Cappy,
One thing that you will need to renew is a TWIC card. Short for Transportation workers identification card. I didnt think that a private or non company owned captain would have to have one but I contacted the Coast Guard help desk at IASKNMC@uscg.mil and they informed me that everyone holding a MM document had to have one to renew. You can find out more info on this at WWW.twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov. It quite a pain to get and it costs $132.00. Hope this helps you CJ.

That was the new item that I was not familiar with. I had heard rumors that this was in the works since shortly after 911, but had not heard anything about it since i moved to Panama. Thanks for the info.

'Nother thing. If you want you can send in for a "continuance" to keep you license from expiring although it is not active. This is what I have at the moment. You also have 1 year from expiry to renew, during which time your license is not active. A grace period.

That was the new item that I was not familiar with. I had heard rumors that this was in the works since shortly after 911, but had not heard anything about it since i moved to Panama. Thanks for the info.

Oh yes the TWIC card. Just got mine about a month ago. It is a three step process.

1. Go on the website and make an appointment at the nearest processing station to you. Be sure to take all the paperwork listed on the TWIC website.
  2. You'll go in fill out the paperwork at the facility which they'll review along with the papers you brought, take you picture, and fingerprints.
  3. Then they will call you 2 to 3 weeks later to let you know your card is ready and you'll have to go back in to activate the card.
When I went in the second time the machine that activates the cards ate mine, so I had to come back a third time 3 weeks later. But the processing center was in Key West so I got a great fish sandwich at one of the local waterfront resturants, so the trip wasn't that bad.

Seems the link didn't work for me in the other post so here is the one I use.

TWIC Information

Good Diving,

They certainly make getting this TWIC card very difficult for us U.S. citizens living abroad. Going to the center twice can be a bit pricey when hotel and airfare is thrown in to the mix.

Are there any services for americans left in the old "Canal Zone"? Back in the day, an American citizen was treated as if they were in a little part of the US there. Your US Coast Guard license will no longer be valid regardless of renewal status in April (June?) unless you have a TWIC. I don't know if you have/need a panamian license for what you are doing there, but if you are actually operating on your US license, it will not be valid in a short time.

One of my captains recently renewed in Miami, kind of. All of his renewal paperwork went to the Miami office as usual, and they forwarded it to West Virginia. All of Miami's paperwork, including your records are now in W. VA. Some of the other REC's are there also, including New Orleans. I don't know when the changeover will be complete. He said the renewal process was much smoother than when he had to deal with the REC, and his renewal was 6 weeks instead of 6 months, including a 200 ton upgrade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom