How to stop rolling to the left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey evceryone,

Still working in the pool fine tuning everything. When I use a single AL80 on my left side I move the weights on my Hollis Weight Plate to the right side but I am still rolling hard to the left and end up doing a barrel roll.

I dont have any weight except in the weight plate.

What do I do?

Thanks

Do you have weight on your tank? When you look at your overall weighting look at not only the weights but any gear that might be negative i.e. canister lights, regs etc. When I single tank sidemount I have 2 lbs on my wing, 3lbs on the tank band(to keep it negative as it empties), and I keep a 5 lb on my right side on my waist. 5 is a bit heavy, but that is what makes my kit most comfortable. Usually 3 lbs do the trick.

I do not think I am over weighted. I have 12 pounds on the weightplate, distributed evenly in the 6 slots. I am in a 7/8 mm wetsuit.I have no weight on my belt and no weight on the tank. I do understand why i need the weight on the tank, but adding more to the left side make me feel I will roll even harder. I am gonna set up my GoPro in the pool and film it so I can see my profile and maybe show you guys how hard I am rolling over.

I found I needed 6# with a single al80 + al13 pony. So I use a pair of short leashes with clips to secure two 3# weights to the D ring at the top of the crotch strap at the back. This allows the weight to sit just aft of the belt and just below my hips. I start with both
on the right and swap to the left as needed. Super easy to do and easy to ditch.
I welcome any comments or criticism...

Kevin

Most likely you roll because you overcompensate.

Just forget about trying to use a counterweight, fill the weight-plate as you would with two tanks.
It is next to impossible to get that exactly right (since the weight of the aluminum tank changes rapidly).
Use your body tension to counter the sightly heavy tank at the beginning. You will only have to compensate for a few minutes anyway, before the tank gets close to neutral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom