how to use a g11 underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... If you factor in the rate that new models are introduced, it just makes sense to me to get a lower priced housing. No matter if it does not enable all of the functions the camera offers.
Ignore chasing new models of cameras. From my perspective, it takes probably more than 3 cycles of "New" models to get to a point that makes it worthwhile to upgrade. Use the time to eke out as much quality from your investment as possible.
Notable exception would be the inclusion of RAW in a new model that was left out in a previous model, but you knew that, 'cause you skipped the G7 and got the G9. :wink:

Last edited:
I do not believe that there is a better camera/housing combination than a G series Canon OEM, from the price for performance aspect. I have used my G9 down to 110 feet in Honduras and it worked just fine. No flooding issues at all.

If you factor in the rate that new models are introduced, it just makes sense to me to get a lower priced housing. No matter if it does not enable all of the functions the camera offers.

Well, it open to argument and that is a good opinion, however, generally speaking, unless there is some specific feature ones desires, that is absent on a current model and promised on a future model, then it takes a number of generations of camera to make a big difference and often, in terms of underwater use, they go backwards in suitability before jumping forward again, therefore:

Buy the camera and housing combination, using a system approach, that suits your needs with the capabilities to do what is wanted and durability for several years, WHEN it comes available. Then learn to use it and do not chase after the newest model as it is a useless waste of time and money.

By system approach, I mean to look at the entire capability of a camera system and the photogs needs, the lenses, the housings, the capabilities of the camera and housing and their interface, the strobe compatibilities. The system has to work and be capable of accomplishing what it is the photographer wants to do otherwise there is going to be a huge frustration and disappointment, and wasted money spent.

My requirements are not your requirements are not his/her requirements in a camera system. Some people love macro, some love wide angle, some love both, some do flash, some like natural light, some people just shoot pics and are not really looking for anything more than casual shots. Your camera did fine for you and that is great, you made a great choice for you.

Here let me give you an example, you say "price and performance", OK, if the camera system cannot accept wet mount wide angle lenses with a resulting FOV of 130 degrees or more, for me, the performance variable would = 0 regardless of the price variable, see how that works? If one wants access to ALL camera controls, all of the time, if a housing does not allow that, then again we are at a result that = 0 regardless of the price. Some people need a dSLR and are willing to spend thousands to get it because they have a need for the capability, other people can be happy with a basic pocket camera and plastic wet case.

Purchase a spare camera once committed to a more expensive housing and system unless you want to own a useless housing/system.

That is my opinion. OMV.

N

Both good arguments. Value is dependent to needs. I consider my needs to be mainstream. As a recreational diver, I need a camera that works well underwater, but still leaves me with funds to purchase other diving equipment that is not related to photography.

Coincidently, I own a T1i that I use for land based work. The cost to ramp this camera up for decent underwater activities would impinge on my budget.

To each their own, I respect your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom