How was the Portland Quarry dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove there Sunday Morning. Had a nice dive tagged some items for removal. Watched them drag out a car.

Frank Hayes told me that Weslyn will be putting together a plan to help keep the alge under control. This would be key to getting the water to warm up.
The plans were very agressive but looked very doable if they can get the $$$. I don't know if they have lined the money up yet I hope they have because everything else is
fixable.

I am curious about this though. Dutch is what about, 100+ miles from the coast? So if you dive thats pretty much the only place without having to drive for a couple of hours. Here, we all can drive an hour or less and be on a shore dive. Also, alot of us have boats or access to boats. Will this dive park be financally feasable when divers have a lot more choices.?

If the dive park is fun, and has fun stuff for divers to explore, and maintains a good safety record...i bet it would be.

DWJ:
Dove there Sunday Morning. Had a nice dive tagged some items for removal. Watched them drag out a car.

Frank Hayes told me that Weslyn will be putting together a plan to help keep the alge under control. This would be key to getting the water to warm up.
The plans were very agressive but looked very doable if they can get the $$$. I don't know if they have lined the money up yet I hope they have because everything else is
fixable.

I am curious about this though. Dutch is what about, 100+ miles from the coast? So if you dive thats pretty much the only place without having to drive for a couple of hours. Here, we all can drive an hour or less and be on a shore dive. Also, alot of us have boats or access to boats. Will this dive park be financally feasable when divers have a lot more choices.?
I was thinking that myself. Im sure that "open water" dives will be done there now instead of Jamestown,Lots of police/fire divers training. I live 10 minutes from the quarry and if im just looking to get some simple dives in, or just get some practice. There arent alot of "freshwater" dive spots in the area so this will be a nice one.

Diversity! IS, the key word. It will not only be a dive site, but will also be a complete water park, with floating "islands," docks, picnic areas canoeing and kyaking, 100 foot water slides, rock climbing and museum/ education center. Also there will be a 5 acre camp ground. winter cross country skiing, Ice skating, laser shows in the quarry, concerts ect., ect. The plans are to make it a "family" center to be enjoyed by just about everyone. The walls are a fun place to dive, the water is clean, and fresh (no salt) The vis. can and will be addressed, easy access, and good depth should be a draw for divers not wanting to make a complete project out of every dive they make.
I for one am pulling hard for them, and wish them every success!

Diesel298:
anyone know about future plans?

According to Frank Hayes, the park will be open next year but won't fully be built out until 2007 season. Based on what they showed us, the parking lots, camping areas, rock climbing and some other stuff I'm forgetting. It's actually pretty exciting.

DWJ:

Depends on your location. I'm in Western CT and Dutch is 160 miles, about 2.5 hours.
RI is a good 3 hours. This quarry is about 1.5 hours. Much easier to get to for some local weekend dives. I'm sure this will fill a void in the area.

lord1234:
I wonder if they will be wanting more divers for more cleanup efforts?
There are not any additional clean up dates on the calender as of yet.

But do keep tuned here, we will do our best to get updates and the word out on future events here and other internet sites.

i think its a good idea..
i live in RI...and am equal distance from newport as from plymouth area, and dive in both locations often.
i personally would make a few trip a year there because i love to dive, and dive every chance i get, my wife has no intrest so it sound like its a way to include the family in a day of activities, and everyone can be satisfied.
good luck.
and more cleanup dates keep us updated...
id like to help where i can
and good luck to those puttin it together

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom