Howdy from Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello from Katy/TX, welcome!!!Im going to Belize next week its another good destination from Houston as well…
I do quick Friday to Monday out and back usually. I was told with Belize, once you made it there, you would need to take a puddle jumper to get to diving areas? Not sure how time consuming that is?

I do quick Friday to Monday out and back usually. I was told with Belize, once you made it there, you would need to take a puddle jumper to get to diving areas? Not sure how time consuming that is?

I think so. Here’s my Belize trip report:

but also people saying they didn't know they were prone to seasickness before that trip, and found out the hard way,
The Caribbean Sea tends to be relatively calm (compared to the open Atlantic Ocean), and since diving is often near an island, dive operators can often put you on the leeward (sheltered from wind and big waves) side (and in Bonaire, shore divers mainly dive the leeward west coast; perhaps you saw the east coast with waves pounding the shore).

I haven't done the Fling. It's far enough from me I'd need to do air travel, they cancel fairly often due to conditions, and I'd need a couple of back-to-back trips to make it make sense. Too many crack in the sidewalk in that plan for my liking. But if I lived close and could drive to catch the boat? That could be different.

I have dove out of Morehead City, NC with Olympus Dive Center years ago, for the deep offshore wreck diving with sand tiger sharks (which rocked!). That entails a roughly 1 1/2-hour boat trip out over the Atlantic, with no islands nearby. It can be a decent ride...or a rough one.

You will want to know whether you're prone to sea sickness and even if not, have measures to take ready. Prevention is better than cure. Don't eat a greasy breakfast and try not to be sleep-deprived (trust me on that!).

Yeah depending where you going to stay it will require some extra planning… I’m going to stay in San Pedro the hotel I’m staying (not fancy) is in front of the diving center, most the dive sites are 10 minutes from dock, this simplify a lot of things..

I think so. Here’s my Belize trip report:

That was an amazing report, thank you for sharin.

Reactions: Dan
if you haven't been to Raja Ampat, please check this special deal out:

My contribution from the MV Fling from last month. I got way more pictures than I am allowed to post here. I'll definitely try to go at least once again this year.

DSC09213.jpg
DSC09852.jpg
DSC09780.jpg
DSC09769.jpg
DSC09590.jpg

Back
Top Bottom