Hubby no like diving :-(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if it will help but I always send people with any questions or problems equalizing to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html

Watch the streaming video;

Streaming Video Lecture
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"

Scuba diving and snorkeling can be fun ways to explore the depths - especially if you can clear your ears as the pressure changes. In this video lecture Dr. Edmond Kay discusses techniques for preventing middle ear barotrauma. Learn what to do to equalize pressure in your ears, teach others proper techniques and learn the safest way to prevent "ear squeeze". This talk was recorded live in September, 2000 and is now available for Internet viewing over the University's video portal .

This is the single best (head and shoulders above) explanation on ears and diving. Watch it and see if you can get hubby to watch it. Just maybe it will help.

good luck

Michael, thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

My hubby does like the sea, and I really think he'd like diving, if he can get over the ear thing--and the horror of spending the money!

Diving wench, I appreciate your comments. Yes, each situation has its own set of circumstances. I can't really believe that a couple has to everything together, but when don't share any recreational interests, that needs to change. Right now I'm just looking for one or two things we both really enjoy, and I believe diving could be one of those things.

We've been married a long time. I'm just of the mind that the marriage should improve with time, not get stuck in the Sargassum Sea.

L

Hey..there! I'm no therapist but here's my 2 cents worth. I've been with my SO since the 9th grade. At the time, we had no "activities" in common. Over ther years, we've accumulated a good number of common interests...And than I got the diving bug. She didn't really want to take the course, at first. Since I setup the course with a bunch of friends, I asked her if she would tag along. She did and now enjoys diving as much as I do....that being said, here are my suggestions for you.

1. DON'T STOP DIVING!!! You should never have to deprive yourself of something you enjoy so much! It's good for the body and it's good for the soul. If you quit, you'll resent your husband for it. Get some dive buddies.

2. If your husband really doesn't want to dive...he shouldn't. The statistics are fairly clear that a large proportion of divers who get into trouble in the water where "forced" into the sport by their significant other. If he want's to dive, but is afraid for his ears, that's OK. He can take as much time as he needs to get comfortable with equalizing...ie. get a GOOD instructor, consult the ENT etc..

3. Communicate! Listen, this might sound very corny, but it seems to me buy your post that there is more to this than diving. You have to communicate your feelings to your husband regarding the feeling of being "stuck in the Sargassum Sea". What are your husband's pastimes; try to compromise. A good friend of mine is an avid skier and his wife hates winter. Every year, they go to a ski resort for a week. He'll ski 3 of the 5 days and she'll go shopping during that time and they have evenings together. The other 2 days, she chooses the activities one day and he chooses the activities the other day. Works out well.

4. Dive by this rule. "You or your buddy can end a dive/call off a dive anywhere ( be it at your local lac or at your once in a lifetime tropical destination)at anytime (before or during the dive, on the charter, in the water or on shore), for any reason or no reason at all, without having to justify their actions. " Anyone who does not agree with this will not be my dive buddy; that is clear! Luckily, my regular buddy is my SO and the statement above always applies.

5. Lastly, DON'T STOP DIVING!!! You only live once.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

I got my partner into diving. She took the openwater course but had bad hayfever and had trouble equalizing. She didn't complete the pool classroom work. A year later we went to Hawaii for two weeks and I asked her if she'd like to try an intro dive, that I would spring for it.

We had friends who had done an intro dive a few months earlier and really enjoyed it, so she said yes.

I carefully selected a dive operator who did a lot of work with novices and I spoke with the instructor before hand. For the intro dive the instructor let me dive with them but I stayed about 20 feet away so as to not interfere.

It went really well and this year she did the classroom and pool work again, then I got an instructor to do her checkout dives one on one in Hawaii. Now she dives and we have all sorts of travel plans.

My advise is let him go at his own pace, but don't force it. Diving is not for everyone, but if he's open to giving it another try, select quality one on one instruction. Then don't interfere, let the instructor do their job.

in this respect - ok, kinda lucky.

My g/f started diving.... I think it was her way not to be a dive orphan! :)

I doubt I'll ever marry again, but I love to dive - some if someone wants to be in my life and doesn't share that passion, its ok - so long as they don't interfere with the diving. Of course this means I have to deal with them disappearing for something THEY love too, and that's ok as well.

Its a lot tougher if you're married, of course....

I love the sea and can't imagine not being in or around it.

Even if your Hubby don't.... you need to keep diving. Do not let him keep you from having some good enjoyment in your life. He will figure out something to do :mean:

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom