Humpback Whale Spotted in Destin on Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was out diving natural bottom, and a barge out of destin. Another boat (near the Miss Louise) reported over the radio that they had spotted a humpback. I saw the photos later, and talked to two guys that saw it independantly. One fin was estimated at 8-9' long. The whale breached, and one of the guys had photos to prove it. Pretty cool huh???

That is pretty cool. I also saw the report that it was spotted offshore. Wildlife and Fisheries said at one point it was close enough to see from the beach. I don't remember ever hearing of one around here. We have Whale Sharks cruise through now and then....but I don't remember a Humpback.

Was out diving natural bottom, and a barge out of destin. Another boat (near the Miss Louise) reported over the radio that they had spotted a humpback. I saw the photos later, and talked to two guys that saw it independantly. One fin was estimated at 8-9' long. The whale breached, and one of the guys had photos to prove it. Pretty cool huh???

I spoke to a couple of experienced divers, and they told me that many years ago, a humpback was hanging around a rig South of Dauphin Island for a few days. The whale was very friendly, and interacted with some of the divers. They agreed with you that it was very, very rare to spot a humpback in our area.

The guys at Scuba Tech said they would have photos posted on their site soon.

Thanks Hetland for posting the pix. They are nice. Very cool!!!

Fantastic pix!!!

That is just the coolest thing! Thanks for the pics!

Back
Top Bottom