Hurricane? Are You Doing Anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding:
Or the vis . . . see you Sunday Tom, and travel safe.

The North side of the island should still be good, see you Sunday.

catherine96821:
hmmm, well there won't be any "turning back" lol.--oh maybe Midland.(do they have an old airstrip?) Fly safe.

Well, there is Midway or Guam. Dang I would hate to have to make a stop at Guam and dive in that water. No drysuit, only in a swim suit :D Just terrible I tell you!!!!

catherine96821:
and I covered the boat yesterday. I need bigger fenders.

I'd double up on the dock lines also.

catherine96821:
lol..maybe

What is this island's pre-occupation with TP? I have heard of the infamous dock workers strikes. Linda Lingle will tell them to knock it off, won't she?

and everybody telling us to gas up the cars.....and then?

I think after the war, there was quite the shortage of TP. Spend a few months wiping with old newspapers, magazines, etc. and I think you'd have a whole new appreciation of TP!:D

The gassing up of the cars thing is a little ridiculous. Once this thing hits, we're not going to drive circles around the island. Unless, you only have one car and you're riding around on "empty", I wouldn't go overboard with the gas.

They do get a little ridiculous here though. I had a neighbor who drove halfway around the island looking for a cash machine that was working on the day of the Earthquake. And there were lots of folks, residents mind you, driving around looking for something to eat! I think that if we ever did have major disaster, there'd be a lot of folks who'd be screwed! If they can't make it for 12 hours max, what would they do in the event of something really big!:confused:

Not me, I was the envy of my neighborhood BBQ'ing on my lanai!:D

lol...lets hope they don't send us to Aloha stadium.

What am I doing? Battening down the .....Cripes! Now an earthquake, don’t things come in threes?

redrover:
What am I doing? Battening down the .....
Cripes! Now an earthquake, don’t things come in threes?
yeah.. just saw the news about the 5.3 magnitude quake just off shore from the big island at approx 1940L [no tsunami warning as of now]..

plus.. i was drivng home from sharks cove this evening..
and the north shore is on fire :11:
the hills just above haleiwa were ablaze!
i even saw flames 100ft high in places!

looked like burning embers from upwind kept spreading the fire northward,
so now.. several miles of hillside have caught.

does that make three?

I went to Costco tonite to pick up a few things. It's starting to get kind of nuts. TP and water going the fastest. They actually ran out of water before I got some. No problem for me. I have a hurricane stash already. I usually keep a case or two and three gallon jugs, just in case of disasters without warning such as an earthquake. Since I couldn't buy water, I went to Home Depot and picked up 5 - 5 gallon buckets. I have several of those lantern things that run on "D" batteries.

Gas line at Costco is huge too. Some of that though has been that it's dipped below $3 a gallon. It's been crazy there for a week! I'm riding around on "E" in my Accord. Tank on the Pathfinder is full though. I'll probably get up early and fill up on the Accord too.

I also have a HUGE cooler (165 qt.) that I bought a few weeks ago to go camping over Labor Day weekend. If this storm turns north, I'll just throw it in the back of the SUV and high tail it down to the Ice House. The freezer's full of food and lots of canned and dry goods. Move some food from the freezer into the cooler before the power goes out and were golden!

We also keep two tanks of propane for the BBQ, just because it is such a pain to run out when you're in the middle of dinner. My lanai is right off my kitchen, so I don't broil, I BBQ.

Right now the big concern I have is the huge hole I have in the deck of my boat as the hatches are under repair. Right now it is covered with a tarp arrangement that has been working great for any rainfall we have under normal conditions. All water runs down the center of the tarp, into the cockpit, and out the scuppers. Of coarse, hurricane winds will shred that in a heartbeat. Plans are in place to batten it down with plywood for the storm.

Another concern is the pets. In spite of huge lip service here in the issue of pets after Katrina, nothing has been done to provide shelters that allow for pets.

As usual, this state is big on talk with little real action!

For us, we had a taste of things to come on Sunday morning. Woke up to no water. There was a water main break just beyond my house and they turned off the water just above my house. House next door had water!:(

Board of Water Supply parked a small tank just down the street. Break was fixed pretty quick. Might have been caused buy the Gas Company who were digging across the street all last week. Water tank trailer is still parked out there. I think it is about 100 gallons. We've already talked about wheeling it up to someone's garden house if things start to get bad. Fill it up and there's more for everyone!:D

Well, I have gathered the children, that is a start.

I need to go to Costco tomorrow I guess.

Shelters for pets? just open a bag of dog food.....I wouldn't go to a shelter that was full of dogs and cats, its bad enough to be in there with all those people. If people brought cats into a shelter, that would just be too much ML...NO CATS!

catherine96821:
I wouldn't go to a shelter that was full of dogs and cats, its bad enough to be in there with all those people. If people brought cats into a shelter, that would just be too much ML...NO CATS!

LOL! Personally, I feel the same way about other people's kids and dogs!:D

Back
Top Bottom