Hurricane? Are You Doing Anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks lamont! As far as they can predict it looks like it will be a class one when it passes south of here and a class 2 for the Big Island.

So those with experience....class one is like what?

justleesa:
Thanks lamont! As far as they can predict it looks like it will be a class one when it passes south of here and a class 2 for the Big Island.

So those with experience....class one is like what?

In the Atlantic, a category 1 is sustained winds of 75 mph (about like sticking your head out the window going down the expressway). 2 is 90 I believe, and up it goes to a cat 5 (Rita and Katrina where this level in the Gulf) which is sustained 150 mph and above.

ah....I've experienced 200+ kmp winds (I think some where around 125mph)....gives me an idea. Thanks Hank :wink:

Everyone out there be safe, I know on Marine Bass for Cat 2 they make you wear a flak jacket to go outside in case of flying debris. Of course a drunk Jarhead in those winds needs a Flak Jacket anyway.

Be safe, enjoy the big winds, and at the very least have one heck of a Hurricane Party with 100+ of your closest friends!

Cheers and Safe Diving,

Rich

catherine96821:
Water: Nope...hot water heater ???
Catherine, you have a very large supply of water: your swimming pool. If your pool is well chlorinated, you have many,many gallons of drinkable water until it get funky.

This was recommended to me during the Y2K hysteria, and general earthquake readiness. 101 uses for your swimming pool!

lamont:
computer models are predicting it misses to the south right now:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200709_model.html

We have a bit of a psychological phenomenon here, I have noticed. Since we are the *only*specks out here it looks/feels more ominous than if we were say sitting in South Carolina watching a Hurricane 6-800 miles away, just because the chances would be that it would be more likely to roll into somebody else......

Catherine, you have a very large supply of water: your swimming pool.
..yea, I finally figured that out yesterday, its ozonated too. LOL, I also remembered I have a gas kitchen and my own tank, so as long as I have matches to override the electric starter, I'm good. really strong winds would take out the glass windows facing southeast but we could move to the back of the house. My son was talking about how he shouldn't have to go to school tomorrow "just in case" lol....every kid wants a snow day.

I just hope it doesn't mess up my flight. I'm supposed to be coming home, from Japan, on Wednesday.
hmmm, well there won't be any "turning back" lol.--oh maybe Midland.(do they have an old airstrip?) Fly safe

Fill 1 or 2 liter bottles with water and fill your freezer with them. They will freeze and you will keep the food in your freezer from spoiling for several days. You will also have cold water to drink after several days. Follow all of the directions on the NOAA site that Lisa sent you and you should be prepared.

If the hurricane goes South of the islands, it can still do a lot of damage. Hurricanes are BIG. The North Eastern quadrant of an Atlantic Hurricane is the worst part. I can't say for the Pacific version. Maybe the North West quadrant?

Good luck you guys and hunker down.

you should probably be prepared for 100mph winds just in case the thing doesn't weaken and it slams straight into you...

otherwise, i think its predicted to generate closer to 60mph winds, and we get windstorms like that occasionally in the pacific northwest...

the storm surge will be a bigger deal if you're down near the tide line...

Back
Top Bottom