Hurricane? Key Largo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jules was nasty last time we were there (July). Burned our eyes and generally unpleasant. Might be better in October, but has a negative feeling for us. Is Cannon Beach better? Looks less protected (more flow) than Jules, so maybe not so skanky?

There is a strip of land/mangroves etc that separates the area it is in from the open sound. So there is water flow but waves are more like a lake than out on the sound. If you go straight out from the beach after a short while you come to a large rectangular deep area where some rock was cut out many years ago. It is maybe 20 ft deep there but bottom is silt so you need to stay off it. Sides are rockish. Along the sides you will see some fish, lobsters, lettuce sea slugs, etc. Have dove it a couple times. Once a school of big tarpon can up and swam around us which was cool. Also saw some horse eye jacks come through and an angel fish. Viz here say 6-10 ft. To the left are some grass beds. Down a long the top a ways on the left is an area with some replicas of old canons lying around. Along here the viz is much better. Maybe 20 ft wiith grass bottom. lots of fish. Water maybe 8-10ft deep. Not awesome diving but I found it interesting Lots of upside down jellyfish. Here are some photos
Canon Beach in December | Facebook
Canon Beach Day 2 | Facebook

Oh, there is a dive shop in the park and you can rent tanks there.

Is the water still really, really cold at depth? I haven't freedived in there in probably 20 years. Never saw the point in taking tanks in there, really.

I would cancel my trip. Seriously

Me too.

Um... yea. I'm considering canceling. I keep seeing it projected to be up somewhere around Jersey when I arrive in MIA. But what damage will have been done? Right now, MIA and south is only under a Tropical Storm watch. If they only get tropical storm conditions... well, probably not a big deal....

Of course, if it keeps swinging east... who knows....

I'm sending my family away tomorrow night, 90% probability. We will have 25 ft (or lager) waves, the insfrastructure will be damaged, power will be out for days. securing food and essentials may be challenging. Not the place to be on vacation. Time for Plan B.. not worth the risk to plan on coming here. This is a major hurricane and it MAY make landfall in miami, WPB or a little north.

The governor has declared a state of emergency for all of Florida. I'd cancel my trip if I were you. The weather is going to be really nasty and the seas are going to get so stirred up. Come when you can enjoy yourself and not worrying about a Cat 4 hurricane.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom