Hydro Optix: 20/20 Test Subject

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Canadian_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Let me start first by explaining the current status of my vision. I am a 28 y/o male and tested 20/20 by an optometrist this week.

My little adventure started last week when my LDS ordered a Hydro Optix Mega-4.5DD mask to help solve his visual issues as an underwater videographer. Unfortunately, the mask did not work for him with the naked eye. He wanted to try the mask out on a few other subjects varying in age and eyesight. I instantly volunteered.

I had the opportunity to try the mask out last week in his pool for a few moments. I was able to focus near and far in that very very short period of time, so we decided that I should try it again for a longer time in the pool.

So, I tried it again over a 1 hour period of time earlier this week. It was very hard on my eyes to keep a crisp focus, but it was manageable. Without a doubt, there was definitely a larger field of view, things were true size, and they were true distance. I couldn't help but think to myself, "Are the benefits really that great to offset the fact that I'd have to wear contacts??" --- keep in mind, this is from someone who has never had to wear contacts or glasses their entire life. I was very skeptical.

Then, just over halfway (30 minutes) into the test, one of the Dive Cons signalled that they wanted to swap masks and try it out. I signalled OK and we swapped masks. I put his mask on (which is identical to my regular mask), then as I cleared the mask, things suddendly became very evident. Here's what was apparent to me:

1. The very first thing I noticed was distortion of objects. I could not believe what I was seeing. How could I have dove with my regular mask for so long and never notice how warped objects looked near the edges of the mask??
  2. Tunnel Vision. I actually felt slightly claustrophobic, something I had never before felt with this flat mask. I felt like I was looking down the inside of a pipe.
  3. In general, things just seemed very dull or blah through the flat mask. Don't ask me why, but it just appeared that way to me.
  4. Comfort. The comfort / fit of the flat mask was still ok, but the Hydro Optix mask just felt even better.

I committed to trying this out with contacts. I took awhile to find an optometrist that would take me asap and that understood why a guy with 20/20 vision wanted to be nearsighted. Thankfully, I found one, and she too was a diver ... she was VERY interested in the mask.

It took about 15 minutes or so for her to review the information and find out whether it was ethical / legal to prescribe me contacts that would make me nearsighted. Next thing we did, was a complete examination to determine my current vision and any astimatisms. As stated before I test 20/20.

Next, they matched me up with some contacts. They taught me how to put them in, take them out, and how to care for them. The even had actually peform all this as well. I was pretty skeptical about putting something in my eye, but once the contacts were in, I was quite surprised to find out how comfortable they are. I also couldn't believe how soft and flexible they are.

Next thing I knew, I was rushing off to the pool with mask, contacts, and wetsuit in hand. Got my gear on, and hopped into the pool. Here are some of the things I noted:

1. The SI clip on felt a bit wierd, visually, I felt more bouncy like I was moving faster than I was. Underwater, the clipon had no effect, things were crystal clear, so I took them off.
  2. Without the clipon, I could not believe what I was seeing. The experience was even better than the last time. Things were even more crisp and clear with the contacts in, not to mention that I had no strain on my eyes what so ever!
  3. I became a believer ... 100%

No feelings of vertigo or nausea as reported by some. I suspect those folks did not see an optametrist and get a proper prescription contact to properly use the mask. My near-sighted vision was incredible, and my farsighted vision equally as good.

The mask did not fog up on either dive. No scrubbing is necessary as the inside of the lens is coated with NanoFog. All that is required is some antifogging solution and then rinse the mask out. The purge valves worked phenomenally well, and the mask seals up amazingly, I have a moustache!

Please, whether you are 20/20, near-sighted, far-sighted, presbyopic (sp?), or have astigmastism, give this mask a fair try.

Take the time to see an optometrist and get properly fitted for contacts. You will NEVER see or enjoy the benefits of this mask if you're not properly fitted to it. Not everyone will need to wear contacts with this mask depending on what your conditions are.

I give it 2-thumbs :thumbs_up :thumbs_up up.... I've also told my LDS owner that he's not getting this mask back. :crafty:

One last tip, most benefit programs cover eye examinations and contact lenses to a certain amount, even for non-medical purposes.

I second all the great benefits you noted on this mask. I just went on my first dive trip with it. I was ecstatic, and now can't see ever going back to a flat mask. I'm lucky enough to be a naked eye match (nearsighted) for this mask, so don't have to mess with the contacts. I have the opposite to deal with - taking my contacts out to dive. I'm jealous of your lack of fogging and leaking problems. As I noted in previous posts, it took me a while to get the fogging solved, and I still have trouble with it leaking when I'm oriented any way other than upright. This mask does transform the visual aspect of the diving experience, and I believe adds a safety factor as well due to the extraordinary situational awareness it provides.
Rich

Rwhiting:
I second all the great benefits you noted on this mask. I just went on my first dive trip with it. I was ecstatic, and now can't see ever going back to a flat mask. I'm lucky enough to be a naked eye match (nearsighted) for this mask, so don't have to mess with the contacts. I have the opposite to deal with - taking my contacts out to dive. I'm jealous of your lack of fogging and leaking problems. As I noted in previous posts, it took me a while to get the fogging solved, and I still have trouble with it leaking when I'm oriented any way other than upright. This mask does transform the visual aspect of the diving experience, and I believe adds a safety factor as well due to the extraordinary situational awareness it provides.
Rich

Hey Rich, thanks for the comments.

I got in a bunch more dives this weekend and learned some ways to make diving even more enjoyable.

Leaking
- Where is your leak coming from? Hydro Optix has new skirts available. Also check the lens gasket. If it's the lens or frame, HO supposedly will warranty it. Also, I now exhale via my nose every single time now, this seems to work beautifully.

I've tossed the clipon and just put the monacle on my BCD, which I rarely use.

I've gotten pro at putting in and taking out contact lenses. You know what? They're no big deal afterall. :D

One question about the Hydro Optix mask . . .

Does EVERYONE who uses one have to wear contacts???
The mask sounds quite intriguing, but I have what borders on a pathalogical aversion to putting anything near my eyes - that just ain't gonna happen!

the K

The Kraken:
People with -4.5 vision do not need contacts - the mask provides that amount of underwater correction. I'm glad there are people who still love this mask - it's a great piece of engineering. It just was not worth the bother for me.

I have -3.5 vision and use the mask with no problems at all. I believe you only have to wear contacts if you have 20/20 vision. More info can be found at their site and in this link to help you determine your needs.

http://www.hydrooptix.com/ml45_chart.htm
http://www.hydrooptix.com/vision_needs.htm

The Kraken:

The mask sounds quite intriguing, but I have what borders on a pathalogical aversion to putting anything near my eyes - that just ain't gonna happen!

the K

The Kraken:

the K

Hey K,

It really all depends on your eyesight. The mask will work with the naked eye for a wide range of nearsighted folks. It might even work for some younger folks with 20/20 vision. The whole key is being able to focus near. I was fortunate to be able to use the mask without contacts initially, but it was too much eyestrain, by this point, I was hooked though... there was no turning back for me.

If you go to the Hydro Optix Website , they explain why the majority of us need to wear contacts to properly use the mask. The mask was designed by one of the folks responsible for correcting the Hubble Telescope and uses similar technology.

I too had an aversion to contacts, but you know what? I've gotten used to them in a very short time and over my fears. Contacts aren't a bother at all.

A good way to describe it is, no one likes to put on a drysuit if they don't have to, but because some of us have chosen to dive in the coldwaters where we live, we do it. It becomes routine and second nature... the same is true of wearing contacts. And the benefits you get from this mask are unreal. :D

Tom Winters:
People with -4.5 vision do not need contacts - the mask provides that amount of underwater correction. I'm glad there are people who still love this mask - it's a great piece of engineering. It just was not worth the bother for me.

Hey Tom, it works for a wider range of nearsighted folks than -4.5. My contacts are only +3.0 ... the mask works wonderful for me. There's a chart on the website to help you figure out what type of prescription you might need. Best to see an Optemetrist like I did.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the mask. I can't figure out why you would consider it a bother? It only takes seconds to pop some contacts in. It takes longer to put your wetsuit on .... and I'm a person with 20/20 sight that has never used contacts in my entire life.

I also can't figure out how someone would turn this piece of equipment down that gave it a proper / fair try by going all the way and getting the proper prescription (if needed) contacts.

Diving is a visual sport, so why wouldn't you want the best view possible? If you were an avid star-gazer, would you use a good high-powered telescope or a pair of binoculars?

I tried the mask on a few dives, both day and night in clear and murky waters. I never had the leakage problem that other people report, and I loved the field of view that I got with it. What I did not like was the pooling effect in the bottoms of the lenses while looking down. I also did not like being blind on the surface - I'm a -6.0 myope, so I had to use weaker contacts to properly adjust for the mask. Looking around for the boat, especially at night on a dark ocean, was not comfortable. The monocle worked ok and was always good for a few Colonel Klink bits on the boat. They sent me the clip-on lens that is really cool-looking - kinda like Predator goes diving - but I never field-tested it.
For cave diving, this mask would be great since it's pretty impact resistant with the polycarbonate lens.
I even worked for Hydrooptix when they exhibited at DEMA in Miami Beach - the people there were really enthusiastic about their mask. I kept the last of my Hydrooptix masks - I may even use it again sometime since I never tried the clip-on lenses. But it may also just sit there on the shelf alongside my 1966 Calypso regulator. As I have said, I'm glad it works for you, have a ball with it.
As a last point, using my digital camera underwater - I flat-out cannot read anything on the camera viewwfinder, even with monovision contacts. My SeaVision with the -2.0 gauge readers might help a little, but the one thing that the Hydrooptix excels at for people like me (old farts) with presbyopia (old eyes) is the ability to see close clearly - watches, computers, little tiny print on a viewfinder, so I may have to use it for this purpose. My housing is only good to 130' so I don't take it that often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom