HydroOptix mask....are they worth it? Do they work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, if I didn't have appropriately near-sighted eyes, I think it would be too much of a hassle to do the contact thing; however, since I do have matching eyes, I think, despite the leaking, that it's fantastic.

Part of the solution to the leaking is to keep your mask equalized as much as possible, since, obviously, if you have negative pressure within your mask, it'll exacerbate whatever leaking there is by pulling in the water. I don't understand how a previous poster was unable to equalize the mask -- there's nothing inherently different in the mask than "normal" masks, other than it being higher volume.

Anyway, like other masks, it does need to fit your face. I haven't had trouble with the mask in current, for instance, and I don't wear it strapped down really tight.

-Simon

I've been using my HydroOptix for a few months now, and it sure does attract attention. Everyone always asks me about it. I'm -5.5 or so, so I don't need to wear contacts with it, and my vision is great underwater. The only problem which has been mentioned by others is the pooling of water when you look down, and the darn leaking/fogging routine. Maybe it's because I wear a hood and have long hair, but I always seem to get some leaking and then after a while because I have to keep purging, the anti-fog wears off and I have to let water in, purge it out, and repeat the cycle when it fogs again. Annoying. On the shore dives I used my old prescription mask, and I was surprised that I didn't notice that much of a reduction in my field of view--I thought it would be a more dramatic difference. And no fogging problems! But I went back to my black HO mask because I don't like the way I look in photos with my old blue square lens mask. Ah, vanity.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, I think, in any of the threads about these masks, is that it's not just the wide field of view, it's also non distorted vision. That is to say, your sight is true to distance. I remember during certification that the instructor made a point of getting us to grab onto a dangling rope, and of course, everyone grabbed at water. With an HO mask, this is not a problem, but I suppose this is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

-Simon

I love mine. This is not a mask for everyone and it is not perfect. I wish it wouldn't leak as much, fog as much, and scratch as easily as it does. It is a great mask for seeing underwater and for me the minor problems are worth the view.

The leaking thing happens to me but I just tilt and clear if I want to look down. If you have any lotion on your face (like sunblock) or defog on the skirt the leaking increases. If you breathe out your nose a lot the seal breaks as well.

Baby shampoo is the best for fogging problems. I've been in 57 degree (no ice diving for me) water with it and the shampoo worked fine.

It does scratch easily but the scratches are minor and are not visible in water.

I wear contacts to make me more nearsighted while using the mask. I've gotten used to picking things out of the blur on the surface. This can be a real problem for some but it doesn't bother me. I have not had to pick out a boat on the surface yet so I may be more unhappy then.

Back
Top Bottom