Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with what you might do with a BP/W setup, as opposed to thinking of using cam band pockets with the Hydros.

Oh, I understand now. I have a different solution for the BP/W plate. I attached the trim pockets to the backplate directly between the wing and the backplate. MUCH better than attaching the weight pockets to the cam bands.

I am traveling and very far away from my dive locker. I may get back home in a week or 10 days. I should be able to send you a photo of what I did. Very nice actually. Send me a PM in a week or so to remind me if you want.

I started a thread on this matter in the BC forum I think. Search for it and you will see what others have done.

Oh, I understand now. I have a different solution for the BP/W plate. I attached the trim pockets to the backplate directly between the wing and the backplate. MUCH better than attaching the weight pockets to the cam bands.

I am traveling and very far away from my dive locker. I may get back home in a week or 10 days. I should be able to send you a photo of what I did. Very nice actually. Send me a PM in a week or so to remind me if you want.

I started a thread on this matter in the BC forum I think. Search for it and you will see what others have done.
One advantage I could see on the Hydros trim pockets being on the back of the bladder system would be on the surface, especially if your exposure suit is minimal or neutrally buoyant. It seems the weight, when the body is upright, would be aft of the center of buoyancy and would help staying vertical. When at depth, however, I wonder if having the lead farther from the back would add to a tendency to roll if you tilted to one side. In your example of the backplate mounted lead, it would be close to your spin and probably have an anti rolling impact.

Maybe I’m just unlucky then?
Perhaps different environment from mine. Do you have photos of this issue?

I have 2Kgs in each
Are you talking about the weight trim pockets on the back of the BC behind the wing?? I couldn't fit 2kgs in these pockets.

I just find the shoulder D rings a bit small - again, personal preference.
I practiced wearing on land and trying to attach various equipment to it without having to look or use two hands. It took a while but it was OK at the end for me.

If the trim pockets are already on the cam band, can you not put the weight in the pocket after putting the band on the tank? Might seem like an extra step but if I eliminate a weight belt, it's a wash.
Quite right.

My Hydros is splitting around the buckles on the trim pockets on both sides. Had it less than a year so hopefully it will be sorted under warranty.​
Pros
  • Easy to use and adjust cam band.
  • Packs up relatively small.
  • Trim is pretty good (for a beginner).
  • Stable (with 12 and 15L steel tanks).
  • Plenty of lift.
  • Carry handle on back plate is handy.
  • Dries quickly.
Cons
  • Expensive (£700 +).
  • Weak trim pocket buckles.
  • Can be hard work to get into as it’s sticky.
  • Sometimes (most times) the webbing twists when tightening down the shoulder straps and requires loosening and fixing before trying again.
  • Creaks when walking with it on.
  • Hard to load the weight pockets when wearing it and doesn’t feel strong enough to lift on (without the help of a buddy) if the weight pockets are already inserted. This is a pain when RIB diving as there’s limited space.
  • Over branded (too many S’s).
  • Not actually that lightweight.
  • D rings are too small and hard to clip stuff to.
I still prefer it to a jacket BCD but have just ordered a BP&W.​
I’ll keep the Hydros for travel (if I don’t buy an aluminium BP).​
For the pros :
- Dries quickly, it is true and false. There is still quite a lot of tissu that dries not so fast. The plastic does dry fast.

For the cons :
- I don't think the pocket buckles are weak although they look like but they do their job quite good
- Yes it is a bit sticky so it is very stable but then it can be a bit hard to get into.
- I also have this problem with the webbing that twists ! I don't like that ! It should not be difficult for Scubapro to fix that...
- Mine does not creaks
- I also don't understand the 6th point (ok I saw you explained it a bit further the thread. I never saw a perfect weight pocket system, this one is very simple and ok for me)
- Who cares about the S's ? I did not even really realise it before some people mentioned it !
- Yes not actually that lightweight. But the real lightweight bcd are not as sturdy as this one so I think it is a good mix
- D rings are ok for me

Perhaps different environment from mine. Do you have photos of this issue?

Are you talking about the weight trim pockets on the back of the BC behind the wing?? I couldn't fit 2kgs in these pockets.
Scubapro manual says 2Kg
HP_Trim.png

2Kg fits fine
IMG_3470.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

This pic shows where the tears are occurring around the pinch clips

IMG_3473.jpeg

I practiced wearing on land and trying to attach various equipment to it without having to look or use two hands. It took a while but it was OK at the end for me.

I’ll practice a bit more 👍🏻

This pic shows where the tears are occurring around the pinch clips
I would think that this will be a warranty issue. Get in touch with your SP dealer asap.

Can anyone tell me if the Hydros Pro Size chart is accurate. It says the XL/XXL size is good for a 58 inch waist which is perfect for me. The only other BCD I know that might be a similar size would be a Zeagle Ranger XXXL. Thanks!

I recently switched from a Zeagle Ranger to a Scuba Pro Hydros Pro. I must admit that I absolutely love it. I was just wondering if there are other Hydros users here and what your thoughts are on the BC after diving it for a while. So far I have zero complaints with only about 15 dives on it.
Would like to know more about your thoughts between the Zeagle and the Hydros pro. I have used a Zeagle BCD for over 20 years and it just died with the infltaor hose ripping completely out of the bladder. I was about to order a XXXL ranger but then saw the Hydros Pro might fit me too. I originally bough the Zeagle because it was a soft pack and still comfortable. I would be very interested in your direct comparison. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom