I am a little nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seibert.kyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been diving for 7 years and I recently became a rescue diver. During the training, my buddies needed to inflate and deflate my bcd. Since I have air2, this was a problem. Not many people knew how to use my low pressure inflater. Usually, they just held down the purge. In an emergency, I want them to know how to use it. I know this should be gone over in your pre-dive talk but in an emergency, people forget most of what they know.

I think the use of air 2 should be covered more in your cert and rescue diver classes to help prevent this problem!

OMG, don't get me started on that POS. :)
Sorry, not trying to insult you. There are many, MANY posts about the AIR2. Search is your friend.

What you're saying is just one more reason to ditch that piece of crap and use the correct equipment.

By the way, if I had one of those things, I'd be nervous too. :D

I think the AIR2 should be outlawed!

Sorry Kyle,
But I have to agree with Randy on this. I think this type of alternate airsource is only doing you a disservice. I know they've become more and more common recently, but in my mind's eye, so has the the acceptance of quick training over proper training. Maybe there's a correlation.

Air2's should be taken off the market.

I'm familiar with the operation of the AIR II and can only say that if you do not go over it with your buddy in detail it could cause problems. But don't worry too much about him because you're the one who's GONNA DIE IF HE SCREWS IT UP! So relax and rest assured that you are not putting any undo stress on him that a few therapy sessions after your funeral wont cure. Enjoy your next dive. With your insta buddy who was trained on a standard octo that every manufacturer makes. Why should a shop, or instructor for that matter, train on those things if they never use them or sell them? When you choose your gear it is your responsibility to dive with people who understand it. If they do not you are responsible for informing them. There are too many gimmicks and doodads out there to be covered in detail in an OW course. I talk about it in the classroom but unless someone is buying one they do not show up on our pool gear or rentals. They are a personal preference and basically just do not work well in OW training sessions. If you are that concerned dump it and get a standard octo or bungee and long hose set up.

I agree with the rest.....Air2 should go BUH BYE!!! They never should have been introduced IMNSHO. You should add that to the "What did buy that you regret" thread :D

There really nothing wrong with an AIR II, that proper training won't overcome. It amazes me that so many ppl here are so against AIR II's because they are non-standard but are for long hose which is also non-standard.

I do agree that it is in YOUR best interest to make sure your buddy knows how to work your AIR II in an emergency (maybe get some magic markers to high light inflate,deflate and purge).

Should AIR II's be taught in class, yes, just like a long hose configuration. Not because they are better or worse, but because the average diver has a good chance of seeing either of these options unless they are in that 75% of divers that only dive twice a year on vacation in the Caribbean or somewhere else warm and fuzzy.

Let the flames begin

No flame but I will say I believe you are not quite correct. I dive year round and in many places. I very rarely see Air2's.

Functionally, I believe they are unsafe. They are too short and awkward to use ( I base this only on the length of my inflator not in practice since I would not likely dive with someone that only had an air2 and no true octo) thus making them dangerous. I agree that the "long hose" is not standard however the true octo (with varying lengths) is standard and is what everybody knows. To cut that length in half in my opinion is stupd and just asking for an accident which is irrecoverable. Yes they remove a possible entanglement point or a drag point but so does a properly stowed octo (long hose or short hose).

I personally just do not see anything (and I mean anything) good about the Air2 and still say they should never have been introduced to the market because they are a hazard (my opinion only of course and not an experienced Air2 user opinion).

Everyone has an opinion and AIR2 always gets slammed by some and loved by others.

This I could not agree more with. We all have our opinions which we are entitled to. If you love it, use it and enjoy.

I would rather have my AIR2 then have another hose. Teach your buddy to use it in pre-dive and you are done. I love my AIR2 and would not trade it for anything. Everyone has an opinion and AIR2 always gets slammed by some and loved by others.

In an out of air incident they get my main and I breath on the AIR2. Could not be easier. Usually in a panic situation the OOA diver will grab what is in your mouth. You just put the AIR2 in your mouth and boom done. You go to the surface. Dives over.

My training included using the AIR2 so it is a non-issue for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom